More LR3 Questions

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 21, 2010 in Finishing School
Download/installation went without a hitch, so :thumb to Adobe on that front.

Some questions, however (and by all means point me to FAQ's or other pages if the answers were staring me in the face and I just couldn't find them). I'm using Windows (Vista 32).

1. I do NOT want LR to be my primary software for getting photos from my CF cards (I use Picasa to upload and then import into LR without moving from the location I selected during the Picasa process), but it keeps trying to automatically launch itself and/or always goes immediately to any removeable media when I open it - how/where do I deselect that? LR2 behaved pretty well with this and never tried to override my other software, so I'm not sure how to set this up similarly....

2. How can I get it to open the import dialogue at either the previously-used location OR a default setting of my choosing?

3. When I'm working on a photo previously edited/processed in LR2, it prompts me to cancel, use settings on disk, or overwrite. I'm unclear what each of these days (Cancel, I believe just leaves it as is, but the other two were ambiguous to me). What does each selection do to the file/xmp sidecar?

Thanks in advance!! :thumb

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Download/installation went without a hitch, so thumb.gif to Adobe on that front.

1. I do NOT want LR to be my primary software for getting photos from my CF cards (I use Picasa to upload and then import into LR without moving from the location I selected during the Picasa process), but it keeps trying to automatically launch itself and/or always goes immediately to any removeable media when I open it - how/where do I deselect that? LR2 behaved pretty well with this and never tried to override my other software, so I'm not sure how to set this up similarly....

2. How can I get it to open the import dialogue at either the previously-used location OR a default setting of my choosing?"

** Under the Edit drop down menu in the Library Module, select "Preferences" and under the "General" tab and "Import Options" section, you want to uncheck the "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected" box.

I'll let someone else answer your third question, 'cause I haven't dealt with that issue (yet.)**
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010

3. When I'm working on a photo previously edited/processed in LR2, it prompts me to cancel, use settings on disk, or overwrite. I'm unclear what each of these days (Cancel, I believe just leaves it as is, but the other two were ambiguous to me). What does each selection do to the file/xmp sidecar?

Thanks in advance!! thumb.gif

Clarify.

When working on a photo in what program LR3? As in you previously edited it in LR3, and now you're re-importing it into LR3?
    tom wise
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 21, 2010
    In Lightroom2 or 3, if you want to have a new or different version of your image, hit ctrl-' and a new copy of your image appears. You can now edit this new virtual copy, without affecting the original file you had previously.

You can even use ctrl-' to create a new virtual RAW file as well. I do this frequently if I am going to create a faux HDR image and do not want to alter my "original" Raw fie.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Clarify.

When working on a photo in what program LR3? As in you previously edited it in LR3, and now you're re-importing it into LR3?

Sorry - wasn't clear. Previously edited in LR2, and working from the LR2 catalog... but in LR3.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Download/installation went without a hitch, so thumb.gif to Adobe on that front.

2. How can I get it to open the import dialogue at either the previously-used location OR a default setting of my choosing?"

** Under the Edit drop down menu in the Library Module, select "Preferences" and under the "General" tab and "Import Options" section, you want to uncheck the "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected" box.
    d

THANK YOU! I knew there must be a simple solution, I just couldn't find it..... rolleyes1.gifwink