sharpening in Gimp

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited June 23, 2010 in Finishing School
I just finished running a sharpening technique through Gimp. It's works well and simple to follow, even for a newbie like me.

I do have a question though. If I try to do it to a RAW image Gimp's raw editor opens up, so how can I open the RAW image in the full version of Gimp so I can get to all the tools?

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I use UFRaw to open the RAW image then theres a button in the bottom right corner that will say "OK" if you go through GIMP to opend the file, or it will have the GIMP symbol if you just try to open the RAW file without GIMP.
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    All i get is open after selecting the file. Then it opens in the RAW interface not the full gimp interface.

R.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited June 22, 2010
    After you do basic RAW conversion you should be able to save the file as an 8 bit TIF, and then open the TIF file in the GIMP.

For 16 bit RAW conversion and some very nice basic sharpening in a freeware product try RAWTherapee. RAWTherapee also allows saving 16 bit TIFFs, which can be a considerable advantage for smooth tone processing later on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    I think I got it.
    Once gimp opens the file in the RAW interface using UFRAW all i have to do is just click ok, even without doing any editing, the RAW file opens in the full Gimp interface still in the RAW format.

It's a bit strange that it doesn't specify that.

I have a new question though.
    After I click ok it asks me if I want to convert RGB Adobe 1998 to RGB#### what is that?? Do I need to convert??

I have to be honest. I just started using this application because of a real good and simple sharpening technique I came across. But the application doesn't seem to be very clear on how to do things. I even read a user manual and that seemed somewhat vague.

R.