Looking for input/feedback on taking school portaits

Scorrow1967Scorrow1967 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited July 4, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I have just been contacted to photograph each kid and teacher at a school this fall. I've run a studio for the past three years - weddings, senior pics, sports photos, etc ... but never have done an entire school.

I'm looking to hear from anybody who has done this type of work before and who can tell me of their experience in terms of keeping track of names/image numbers, onsite proofing with a monitor and pro labs to do double-sided badges. Also if anyone has any pricing suggestions.

My plan as of now - formulated in the last 20 minutes after booking this job are:

Names/Image numbers:
I plan to prepare a spreadsheet ahead of time with each student's name and when they have their photos taken, recording the image numbers there. I'd also put them on any order form I receive. Is there a better way? Software I should buy? Tips? Techniques?

Onsite proofing:
The company that preceded me used a monitor to proof the photos after they are taken. I have a 27 inch Vizio flat screen already that I could use. Is that big enough? Too big? I'd just run a cord from the camera to the monitor to show the images? Should the student be able to see and choose the images, too? Anyone have a better idea?

Badges:
I'm sure I can find a 100 companies online that do this type of work. Anyone had great success with one that does this?

Shot prep:
I typically use strobes and reflect the light back, but I'm toying with the idea of softboxes instead. Anyone want to share some insight? Also, I know the days of giving each kid a comb are past, but what about bringing a mirror to the shoot so the kids can see themselves before (during?) the sitting?

Thanks to all who take the time to read and hopefully respond.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    One thought that jumps to mind is to have each person fill out a large 8.5X11 with their name. The first shot will be of them and their name. You then have this as reference without any real additional effort or mixing up image numbers and names.

Sam
  • Scorrow1967Scorrow1967 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Thanks!
    Sam wrote: »
    One thought that jumps to mind is to have each person fill out a large 8.5X11 with their name. The first shot will be of them and their name. You then have this as reference without any real additional effort or mixing up image numbers and names.

Sam

I like that idea - might be a great fail safe if we write a number down wrong.
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I'm sure I saw a system years ago where you pre entered the kids data and printed out bar codes that went on their order forms/ envelopes.
    The barcode was scanned when the kid came up for their pic and the camera being tethered to the machine, wrote some info on the exif file so each shot was identified.

From there I believe that the printers could get the order forms and the image files and automatically batch each order.

I'd like to know if there is an affordable system that just did the bar codes and wrote the data to the files because that would be enough for what I want.

For the Mugshots with the names, I did this with sports teams but bought half a dozen kids type white boards and got the players to write their names on that and then re-used them down the line.
    Didn't have to worry about having a ream of paper being left strewn around everywhere then. I use the same system for the event work I do and we just shoot the white boards identifying the division and grade of whatever is on the card behind it so the shots can easily be sorted into the relevant directories.
  • crystallizedcrystallized Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Yes, I say giving them a mirror is a great idea! I remember always wishing I had one for school pictures, trying to remember to bring one myself, and always forgetting.

Good luck!
    edited June 23, 2010
    Thanks
    Yes, I say giving them a mirror is a great idea! I remember always wishing I had one for school pictures, trying to remember to bring one myself, and always forgetting.

Good luck!

I know!
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Are you only taking ID photos, or is this an opportunity to sell packages at the same time? If you are taking pre-orders for packages, here's what I recommend (based on my recent experience shooting team pics for baseball):

1) Order a rubber stamp for depositing checks.
    2) Check both Millers and Black River Imaging - both have specialized products and programs for this. Black River was very helpful for me, with a greater variety of product, but their software is wonky at times.
    3) Order pre-printed envelopes to be handed out in advance of the event.
    4) Payment must be made at time of event, no exceptions.
    5) Get a list of classes/ teachers in advance, and a "roster" for each class, if possible. You can write frame numbers on this if you can get it.
    6) Part of the order form is room for a frame number. Have an assistant write it on the envelope.
    7) Take 2 photos, because kids always blink in at least 1.
    8) At the end of the day, enter everything into a spreadsheet.
    9) Process the photos, upload the orders.

Just plan the process, and have help available.

Can't help you with the proofing, we didn't do that onsite. I would think that would make it be too time consuming.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
    edited July 4, 2010
    Thanks!
    Thanks for taking the time to respond - I do a lot sports leagues and use some of these techniques, but I appreciate your input - lots of good ideas!
    Are you only taking ID photos, or is this an opportunity to sell packages at the same time? If you are taking pre-orders for packages, here's what I recommend (based on my recent experience shooting team pics for baseball):

1) Order a rubber stamp for depositing checks.
    2) Check both Millers and Black River Imaging - both have specialized products and programs for this. Black River was very helpful for me, with a greater variety of product, but their software is wonky at times.
    3) Order pre-printed envelopes to be handed out in advance of the event.
    4) Payment must be made at time of event, no exceptions.
    5) Get a list of classes/ teachers in advance, and a "roster" for each class, if possible. You can write frame numbers on this if you can get it.
    6) Part of the order form is room for a frame number. Have an assistant write it on the envelope.
    7) Take 2 photos, because kids always blink in at least 1.
    8) At the end of the day, enter everything into a spreadsheet.
    9) Process the photos, upload the orders.

Just plan the process, and have help available.

Can't help you with the proofing, we didn't do that onsite. I would think that would make it be too time consuming.