Options

Bi-Weekly Discussion Thread: Before & After

2»

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Is it just me, or does something about the last shot make the processed version seem more perspective-y? I could be crazy :D

I wanted to come back and post a reworked version based on some suggestions from my initial post. This is the LR version (you can see more of the makeup issues in this one) and then the latest final image. He admittedly seems a little yellow and maybe the shadows on the sides of her nose are a little * too * dark, but aside from those giant flaws, I think it is a step in the right direction. I'll be heading back to PS to fix that now... Thanks for the feedback, guys!

920721792_WgH2h-L.jpg

920720277_vyMV4-L.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Original shot:
    925153887_jodAw-L.jpg

first edit:
    925153910_ud26m-L.jpg

second edit:
    925153942_4R6ra-L.jpg
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Great save on the first one Matt! Angie....ooooooh baby! That first girl is sooooo pretty! Nicely done.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    I love this thread! I don't have anything to contribute, but I still think this is great. I love seeing the before and after, it's really helping me think about what I shoot and that it doesn't have to necessarily be perfect out of camera. Sometimes you see these pictures, then I see what I get in my camera and it makes me get a little discouraged, seeing how just a smidge of PP can really do wonders lifts my spirits :)
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote: »
    ... it's really helping me think about what I shoot and that it doesn't have to necessarily be perfect out of camera. ...

... Unless your name is Heather and you're from Alaska rolleyes1.gif

And now show us some of YOUR before/afters. I'm sure you got *something* thumb.gifcheerleader.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    lol I am not even close to the point in my photography career where I feel I should even be looking at her photos!!j/k Lol, I love this forum though, its been super helpful! I have tons of B&A, I adore photoshop and the many different things I can do with it, they are just of babies and families, and well that's it as of now :)

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    lol I am not even close to the point in my photography career where I feel I should even be looking at her photos!!j/k Lol

Yeah ... some of her before shots look better than my after shots rolleyes1.gifheadscratch.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    I love seeing the before and after, it's really helping me think about what I shoot and that it doesn't have to necessarily be perfect out of camera.

Don't hang your hat on that one!!!! Get it as good as you can out of the camera... make that your goal every time you shoot. It is too easy to think "ahh I can just photoshop that" but believe me when I say, you want to spend your time in PS making great photos spectacular and not trying to save your butt like on my pond shot. That being said, most any shot needs a little love and it is hard for me to look at many SOOC images as being complete without a little work.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Oh I absolutely agree, SOOC is what I aim for, but it's nice to know that even photographers who get it right SOOC do use photoshop to give it that extra pop, and if it is a little warmer than I want, I can fix it PP as opposed to stressing that they came out terrible. I def want my SOOC to be as near to perfect as I can get.

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    ... Unless your name is Heather and you're from Alaska rolleyes1.gif

And now show us some of YOUR before/afters. I'm sure you got *something* thumb.gifcheerleader.gif

You guys are too nice to me.....

(thanks)

(I'll go hide now.)
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Here's some from me. I like to use deep sepia for the first dance album spread...

925674525_3MWBd-L.jpg
    925675257_2pmBR-L.jpg

And a similar effect for a quick snapshot of a nice bride...

925759214_GoMEg-L.jpg925759784_p72tY-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    david_h wrote: »
    Here's some from me. I like to use deep sepia for the first dance album spread...

And a similar effect for a quick snapshot of a nice bride...

Ooooooh, I like your processing!!!! VERY cool!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    I recently posted a blog entry about my SOOC vs processed images.

Personally, my style is minimal. As much as I love crazy processing techniques and will maybe goof around with one image per job, I also try and remind myself that in 10 years, most "syles" will just get laughed at. So I try my hardest to keep it timeless- CORRECT color, good contrast with a white point and a black point, unless the image lends itself to otherwise.

And, I try and nail as much of it in-camera as possible. There's just not enough hours in the day to spend 1-5 minutes on EVERY one of the photos I deliver...

=Matt=

http://matthewsaville.com/blog/2010/05/17/for-photographers-what-does-sooc-mean/
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    I'm really enjoying seeing these, too. I'm not sure if you've posted this before, Angie - but what is your post processing workflow? How many of your images see the inside of Photoshop or do you do most everything in Lightroom?
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Playing with picnik

932182867_MM6BW-S.jpg

931554177_27ucq-M-2.jpg
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Angie, could you please give us a bit of information on your PP used in these photos? I love the bright creamy look on the subjects.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Angie, could you please give us a bit of information on your PP used in these photos? I love the bright creamy look on the subjects.

Oh boy ... there is really no recipe that will work for just any photo, that I could share ne_nau.gif I do a lot of color enhancement, adjust the contrast, clone stuff, dodge, burn, saturate & desaturate ... That's all there is.
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    studio1972 wrote: »
    Not sure how to attach multiple images so here's first one

and here's the revised version (spot the differences):
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    I hate to bump this super old thread....but I wanted to post this and didn't think it warranted a thread of its own.

i-cBMVQkj-L.jpg

My birthday was last week, and the fact that this bride is my age-ish and smokin' hot...makes me feel better about my age. I don't think she needed much work, but man what a little bit of time with the WACOM can do.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    I LOVE this thread!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    mollyphotogmollyphotog Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    What process did you use for the "after" shot in the engagement photo? Thanks in advance for any info

Agnieszka wrote: »
    Every once in a while I create an image with a before & after shot. Seeing them next to each other helps me dial back my processing (rolleyes1.giflol3.gif) + it's something to be proud of / and if you'll ever have a bride that wonders what exactly you're doing when you say that you have to process your images, you have something to show off. thumb.gif

Care to share some of YOUR before & afters? I'd love to see cheerleader.gif
    Here are some of mine:

1: A recent one from an engagement shoot:
    910376374_Z5ReB-L.jpg

2: I don't usually remove hair like this, but this photo ended up in a magazine ... soooooo ....:
    910377524_B8uEx-L.jpg

3: Just for fun:
    910377860_yx4Xe-L.jpg

4:
    910379716_8ZYF4-L.jpg

5:
    910380837_B3gSW-L.jpg