Last Photo of the Night

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited June 25, 2010 in Landscapes
I've been beyond busy lately with work and other projects and up until the end of last week hadn't had much time to get out with my camera. To add insult to injury, Thursday and Saturday nights (when I had a chance to get out with my camera) there wasn't much of a sunset due to heavy cloud cover out over the ocean.

But then there was last night. Even though there was still some heavy cloud out over the ocean, I till got some good light and it was high tide with waves crashing all around me.

This was the last shot of the night as a huge wave nearly crashed on top of me a split second after the shutter closed. The camera and I were safe, but I figured it was time to get back to dry land.

910129057_6Rvsa-XL.jpg

More to come, but I present this one as my Badge of Honor for getting out on these slick rocks during high tide and making it back to tell! :D

C&C always welcome!
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    What's a hugh wave?
    Love that foreground! You can really tell how those rocks have been sculpted over the years from the tidal action.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    I have no idea what you're talking about? "Hugh wave"?! ;p
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Love that foreground! You can really tell how those rocks have been sculpted over the years from the tidal action.

Thank you, Ron! :D

Despite the texture you can see on the rocks, they're like walking on polished glass and I consider along the lines of stupid to have been dodging high tide waves out there on them but I was chasing this foreground in the hopes of showing off the pattern of erosion. Since you can see what I was after, maybe it wasn't so stupid after all!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • jestoosjestoos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    I like how the foreground rocks dwindles further towards the horizon and leads the eye. Another portrait landscape in your cap!
    "The important thing is not the camera, but the eye." --Alfred Eisenstaedt

My website:

http://www.jasonstoos.com
    edited June 24, 2010
    jestoos wrote: »
    I like how the foreground rocks dwindles further towards the horizon and leads the eye. Another portrait landscape in your cap!

Thanks, Jay!

I really think it's weird... lately I'm just not seeing landscape oriented landscape images right now, no matter how had I try. Gotta be the camera... must be broken & in need of upgrading! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Very nice Chris. thumb.gif I see you are really starting to take advantage of your location.
    edited June 24, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice Chris. thumb.gif I see you are really starting to take advantage of your location.

Thanks, Dan! :D

I've been gun shy about getting down there too close to the water for fear of ruining my camera, but with my homemade custom camera water proof housing, I feel a little more comfortable getting up in the middle of the action!

912372063_XfXjZ-L.jpg

The Chris Skopec homemade custom camera water proof housing (patent pending) is now available for the low low price of $74.98 plus $9.99 shipping & handling! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 24, 2010
    That is an amazing housing.
    Does it come in different colors?

Wonderful image BTW.

Thank you, Shawn!

Currently, only the clear model is available as we are in testing to determine whether or not the die has any effect on the water proofing ability of the plastic. We hope to have results soon and new models shortly there after!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Excellent shot Chris. The detail in the foreground rocks is wonderful. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    edited June 25, 2010
    shniks wrote: »
    Excellent shot Chris. The detail in the foreground rocks is wonderful. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thank you, Nikhil! :D

This area, in La Jolla, has some really great rock formations right at the coast, just begging to be photographic foregrounds. I've got a bunch more from the evening to process and will hopefully get them up soon!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos