Steptoe Butte

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 28, 2010 in Landscapes
An afternoon on Steptoe Butte last Saturday, it's a long 9-hour round-trip drive from Seattle, but definitely worth it.

#1:

909353309_gCKhv-XL-1.jpg

#2:

909350874_EsKhp-XL.jpg

#3:

909348454_X4o8E-XL.jpg

#4:

909361009_yggJt-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Wow. Nice. Especially #4. You make the Palouse look so nice. I never quite remembered it this way!
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    The earth itself looks like it's moving...like water. Agreed that #4 is the best; it's the farm and trees that do it, they give it scale. Nice work.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    #3 being my favorite but they are all so beautiful. I agree; makes me a bit sea sick!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    Wow. Nice. Especially #4. You make the Palouse look so nice. I never quite remembered it this way!

It's pretty cool, and as much as I try and find other spots around the area, the best spot is always Steptoe Butte looking down. These shots were taken about half-way up, which is close enough to capture these scenes with a 200mm lens, a lot lighter than my 100-400 and less susceptible to the wind which is quite strong. At the top though you get the full 360 degree view.
    The earth itself looks like it's moving...like water. Agreed that #4 is the best; it's the farm and trees that do it, they give it scale. Nice work.

Thanks! That's a good description, it does seem like water or a bunch of sine waves moving all over and through the ground. #2 and #3 have a barn too (the same barn in both shots) - but it's a lot smaller :D
    Eia wrote: »
    #3 being my favorite but they are all so beautiful. I agree; makes me a bit sea sick!

The whole point of photography should be to inspire a response from the viewer: joy, hope, wonder, excitement, sea-sickness... Mission accomplished! lol3.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Colors here I've never seen, as I remarked elsewhere - grass looks blue in places, mauve soil. Is it the sunset that is giving the color cast? Is this an agricultural area - what is it that is being cultivated?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Colors here I've never seen, as I remarked elsewhere - grass looks blue in places, mauve soil. Is it the sunset that is giving the color cast? Is this an agricultural area - what is it that is being cultivated?

Neil

Wheat. There is no color cast, that's what it actually looks like.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Spectacular Ron. clap.gifclap That last one is my favorite of this crop (pun intended).
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Wheat. There is no color cast, that's what it actually looks like.

Thanks for the info, Ron.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Great photos Ron!! I especially like #3 and #4!!

Steptoe is such an incredible place to see. I have a few more pics that I need to get edited also.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    #3 is awesome. The colors are just popping out.
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Nice Captures Realy like number 4,also.

Doug

http://dougsphotos.smugmug.com/