Options

One bridal portrait. Need opinions...

WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited June 24, 2010 in Weddings
This photo is so close to what I wanted it to be, but the shadows on her face blew it I guess. I was loving the natural light at the moment, and I failed to get enough of it on her face. I did try various poses, even with her looking farther left, and me shooting from near the window. None of those compositions are as good as this one is (in my mind)

I should have had my 2nd shooter grab my iLight (video light) and shine it down to light her up better. (flash in this photo would not be my thing)

With all that said, do you think the photo is ruined as far as me using as a portfolio type shot, or is the shadowing ok? Certainly, she will be getting this shot in her final images, but to what degree should I use it?

Other misc advice is very welcome.

BritPews.jpg
Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
My Weddings WebsiteBlog

Comments

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Re: One bridal portrait. Need opinions...
    Why not use a reflector to fill shadows?

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Re: One bridal portrait. Need opinions...
    Working with what you've got, I think you could lighten up shadows with an adjustment layer in photoshop....

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    I'm less bothered by the shadows than the blown highlights on her face and bright patch on the cushions - if those could be brought down and softened, I think it could be quite lovely for a "mood" portrait in pretty classic Rembrandt lighting (given the triangle on the the shadow side of her face). I'd probably go completely the opposite direction and desat, soften, gaussian blur and all the rest.

Take all this with grain of salt , however, since I'm not a wedding photographer........... :hide
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Well, I hope this is okay, but I opened it up in PS because I was thinking that if you just took out the hotspot on the shadow side it would look much better, and I think I was right.

It has such potential, I would hate to not use it.

(Seriously, I spent about 3 seconds on a patch job. You could do much better with a bit of finessing and a full res file) Let me know if you want my hack job of an edit removed. :D
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Heathers idea of light just on the one side of the face is brilliant. IMO it has a little to much tilt. But i think she would be happy with it in any way!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2010
    Thanks for the good advice and opinions so far folks. That really helps. It's one of those images that I really love, aside from the little mini disasters within! Thanks Heather for the idea, and you can keep your edit up there, no problem. It's part of the discussion. ..and I think I will try that dark side edit. I actually already tweaked that bright spot from it's original form, but I think I'll make it go away now as you propose.

All other advice is well received as well. I'll play with this image to make it work....hopefully.
    Any more advice is still welcome.
    Thanks
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    I like the image a lot and the lightingoverall..but I would like it more if the shadwws were brought up a touch and the highlight brought down touch just to soften up the image a bit. (and add a vignette)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    You might consider a black and white version for your portfolio. I think if you do your conversion carefully you can even out the face a bit. Either way the high contrast tends to look more "intentional" in black and white.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    The effect is great
    It implies sitting in a pew at an old church in the countryside. Just some late afternoon sun coming through the window. I would not try to make it something it is not
  • Options
    zer0typezer0type Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    hi. this is a wonderful portrait. i would say i want this kind of shot as well someday. i hope you dont mind, i made a few edits myself... i used NIK Viveza to add fill light on the dim light of her face. and used NIK Silver Efex to convert to mono. i hope it helps a bit.

BritPews---1.jpg

shaneirwin2.jpg
    "Don't Panic" -- The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    http://flickr.com/jamesbautista
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Black and white, a little shadow highlight, reduce the contrast.
    Next time, less flash more ambient, watch the composition. The tilt does not add to this shot.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2010
    Hmmm, I kinda like that color version you did Zero. That may be the ticket. Still, I may take out the bright triangle on her right cheek, plus what you did to brighten up the side in general. I hate that I even have to go to such extent with editing, as I should have nailed it during the shoot. BUt.....I love this photo and I must rescue it! haha
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Black and white, a little shadow highlight, reduce the contrast.
    Next time, less flash more ambient, watch the composition. The tilt does not add to this shot.
    ummm, I used NO flash here, so I'm not sure how I could use any less flash, or any more ambient, being as all I used was ambient.
    Yes, the tilt is probably a touch too much, but it's the best composition of the bunch that I shot. I think it ads to the shot. Straight would be a tad boring I think.
    Just my knee jerk response.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    I like the tilt...it goes somewhere...to the corner of the frame. I think the composition is strong, but maybe could be stronger. Obviously you know the light is too hot, would be a pretty easy raw adjustment I think. I think the optimum pose for the direction and height of the light would have been to have her elevate her chin, and turn her face a bit more to her left. With the high light position (church window I'm assuming) it cuts down across her a bit too much and while you have a nice shadow side triangle, the cut makes her nose look chunky. Turning her head a little left and up will get you more toward short light, and away from broad light. Short light will minimize that chin rather than accentuate it. I'm not crazy about the expression, FOR ME it falls somewhere between fierce and "I smell something", not fierce enough to carry fierce. It is beautiful light and a stunning image, and nightmare be the bride that would pick this apart as much as we just did. Good work.