Options

Pictures of cakes?

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in Technique
My wifes Aunt is in the business of making cakes mainly for birthday parties at this point... But im thinking about offering my services to her for getting some really nice cake pics..

Any ideas?

Should i build a little light box like you would do with product photography? How would i arrange the lights?

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 23, 2010
    If you want shadowless images, a light tent might work fine.

How about a large window light with nice, soft Rembrandt lighting?

Would give you nice shadows for the texture in your cake's icing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    While I have never specially shot a cake, I wouldn't think a light box would be needed or add anything.

Most cakes I have seen aren't very reflective, so glare and hot spots shouldn't be an issue. You could use window light with a reflector. Or one strobe with a reflector. I think headscratch.gif

Sam
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    JayClark79 wrote: »
    My wifes Aunt is in the business of making cakes mainly for birthday parties at this point... But im thinking about offering my services to her for getting some really nice cake pics..

Any ideas?

Should i build a little light box like you would do with product photography? How would i arrange the lights?

forget the light box. I don't think it will add much and getting a large multi-tiered cake in and out might pose an issue. Just bounce the light on camera or set up off camera light or find a nice window as suggested.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Don't know if this is particularly good or bad (the owner of the company really liked it and is using it in their materials).

911526838_AEZKa-L.jpg

Single speedlight bounced up off the ceiling at about 45-degrees behind and to my left. The hall was really dim, so w/o a tripod ambient wasn't going to get increased by much more than what is there.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 23, 2010
    For white wedding cake images I use almost entirely ceiling bounced light with maybe a touch of fill. For a darker cake, like a German Chocolate or a naked Red Velvet, just increase the front fill.

If you want to shoot a cake with a slice removed, like for a menu item or a magazine shot, then a more complicated lighting setup might be required. Accessories or props complicate things and lighting can get difficult if you're not careful.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Aerialfilm1Aerialfilm1 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    (the owner of the company really liked it and is using it in their materials).

if the guy writing the check likes it, probably best to stop there and not ask for any other opinions. :D

IMHO it's fine shot. I wouldn't want to browse a portfolio of other cakes all with the same set up, but you choice of background works well and the lighting doesn't distract from subject. I would also try an executive shot of the baker/ artist in the kitchen/ studio with a defocused background. Try to play up on that old world charm bakery customers tend to eat up.