canon 5D Mark II exposure reading problem

srich250srich250 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited July 1, 2010 in Cameras
Before I ship my canon to CPS I would like to ask 'the pros' for the answer........here are the details.

when i take an exposure reading on Tv or Av I get two different readings usually 1 1/3- 1 2/3 stops different whether the camera is in the landscape or portrait position.

i talked to CPS for an hour today and they have never heard of the problem. we troubleshot with 2 diff. L series lenses, all 4 metering modes, grey card, i updated the firmware, cleared all functions, and still in landscape/horizontal shooting position it reads light correctly. then when i rotate the camera to a vertical/portrait position, it underexposes drastically.

any thoughts?

thank you

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 24, 2010
    What metering mode is the camera in?

P.S. Nevermind, you already mentioned:
    srich250 wrote: »
    ... all 4 metering modes, ...
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 24, 2010
    Ae you using an off center AF point, perhaps?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 24, 2010
    Have you compared the EXIFs from the different files to see if that gives a hint?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • srich250srich250 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    5D Mark II exposure problem
    thanks for all your interest in helping

- all 4 metering modes have same issue
    - using konica minolta meter and a 50D and 2 L series lenses to make sure all tests are accurate.
    - it is not lens specific. happens with all lenses.

every time the 5D Mark II is rotated from landscape to portrait the exposure changes by more than a stop.
    edited June 24, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Ae you using an off center AF point, perhaps?

always center
    thx
    edited June 24, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Have you compared the EXIFs from the different files to see if that gives a hint?

let me check
    thx
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 28, 2010
    I was going to suggest distance from camera to subject and possibly also the relationship of the subject to camera but it sounds like you've covered that.

Truly bizarre.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    can you clarify..does the meter reading actually change or does it simply underexpose the final image? T and A are auto modes so the meter should always be at 0?

Also if you change the exposure comp..does this help the underexposure?

I can't recall what now exactly but I thought that there were some parameters that changed from landscape to portrait modes..like focal points? you can have them auto switching as you turn. Are there anyother paramters that automagically switch that you know of?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    can you clarify..does the meter reading actually change or does it simply underexpose the final image? T and A are auto modes so the meter should always be at 0?

Also if you change the exposure comp..does this help the underexposure?

I can't recall what now exactly but I thought that there were some parameters that changed from landscape to portrait modes..like focal points? you can have them auto switching as you turn. Are there anyother paramters that automagically switch that you know of?

I don't have the camera in question but if where the focal points are in the frame changes in landscape vs portrait mode it may well have the same focal point reading a different place in the scene and thus give a different reading.

Jane B.