Senior Portrait (first post)

andyjhandyjh Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 28, 2010 in People
Took this of my son as he's now officially a "senior". Comments welcome.

Comments

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Welcome! Nice job on the photo! I hope he has a wonderful senior year. :)
    Kristen
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    welcome! good looking kids..the image has potential but it could use some post processing to bring it alive.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    welcome! good looking kids..the image has potential but it could use some post processing to bring it alive.
    Welcome to Dgrin. I agree with Qarik. I think it needs some work in post-processing. Also the face seems a little out of focus to me.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    If you're going to mention making changes in post processing to bring it alive...why don't you make some suggestions as to what you are talking about...since there are an infinite number of options available in PP.

You need to fix in post processing...fix what...what is your eye telling you that you would like to see differently.

Making an open need comment is like saying, "I'd use a 6 inch brush instead of a 4 inch brush" when commenting on someones photograph...it leads to the ineveitable...huh...

Your suggestions would sure help the poster and let the rest of us see what you're thinking. And, I've seen your work, so I know you have some good ideas.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    In terms of focus, any time I see something added as an attachment, I assume the focus is artifacts from the compression. If you can post the image as a link (XL or L size), then the compression issue is much less and we all get a much better idea about the overall image. You can pick an option from this link http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6885595_nUk4R about how the embed a link to your image (assuming you have some webhosting like smugmug or flickr)
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    If you're going to mention making changes in post processing to bring it alive...why don't you make some suggestions as to what you are talking about...since there are an infinite number of options available in PP.

You need to fix in post processing...fix what...what is your eye telling you that you would like to see differently.

Making an open need comment is like saying, "I'd use a 6 inch brush instead of a 4 inch brush" when commenting on someones photograph...it leads to the ineveitable...huh...

Your suggestions would sure help the poster and let the rest of us see what you're thinking. And, I've seen your work, so I know you have some good ideas.
    Ed - thanks for calling us out on this. You are absolutely right to do so. This should be a place of learning and sharing.

My main concern is the lack of focus in the face. As Andrew noted, it is hard to tell if this is compression artifacts or an actual problem so it would be nice to see a larger version or get a link.

Beyond that...everyone has different tastes but:
    • I assume that this was lit with an on-camera flash based on the catchlights in the center of the eyes. I would enhance them to make them larger
    • I would brighten/sharpen the eyes to give them more life
    • I would work on the face to try to bring out some of the shadows and reduce some of the glare on the bridge of the nose. I'm lazy and really like using Portrait Professional for quick enhancements. Takes about 2 minutes per shot to do so - if that.
    • The cement(or whatever is gray) in the background I would darken some
    • Levels look pretty good but I would play with clipping the black some more
    Again the small size and the compression makes it hard to get a true idea of what is going on.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook