Thoughts on Canon kit lens?

cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Cameras
[sigh]Another one lost to the dark side.[/sigh]

My sister decided she wanted an upgrade from her P&S, so she began peppering me with DSLR questions. Most of her friends shoot Canon, and she lives in S.Korea, so I couldn't sit down with her and extol the virtues of Nikon awesomeness. So she came asking initially about the 50D, and said she had a desired budget of ~$1k. I gave her the usual spiel about the good money being spent on glass, etc, and that while it's good, the 50D is a couple years old and has been outgunned by the 7D. Naturally she upped her budget and began considering the 7D. I gave her a bunch of things to consider and sent her off to a camera store to hold some cameras in her hands. Most of my Canon friends pushed for the T2i, and I agreed, since this is her first "serious" camera. She says that she wants to get into it, but I don't think it's the wisest thing to spend 7D/D300s money on your first DSLR if you don't know for sure if you are going to stick with the hobby.

Anyway, after she went and looked at D90, D300s, T2i, 50D, and 7D, she decided that the others were "too big" (she travels a lot and I had kind of figured she wouldn't want a large camera, but did tell her that the upper models had features that the lower ones don't, etc), she decided on the T2i.

I had been pushing for something like the T2i with 18-55 kit lens and 70-200 f/4L, and that would keep her around the same cost or a little lower than the 7D kit she'd been considering. I figured that would keep her in budget and she could upgrade the normal zoom at a later date. I also recommended that whatever kit lens she got to get the 50 f/1.8. So after looking at the bodies, she went home and ordered up the T2i w/ EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS kit and the 50 f/1.8. (Thanks Adorama and by extension, Helen!)

On its specs, I think it's a good kit for a starter set, but since I shoot Nikon, I know nothing except the basic specs on this 18-135 lens. I figure it's typical of most kit lenses, decent in good light but nothing special. Are there any words of advice from the Canon faithful I should give her as she gets started regarding this equipment? She's coming to visit me and my new baby, and actually having the gear shipped to my house since she wasn't sure it would make it to her before she got on the plane. So I'll have a bit of time to play with the gear myself, but just wanted to know if there was anything in particular I should be looking for and/or telling her? Thanks.
Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
My site 365 Project

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Considering that she's used to P&S cameras, I suspect she'll be delighted with the 18-135mm kit lens, at least for a while. If she gets really serious about photography and starts getting annoyed by things like vignetting and slow max aperture at the long end of the zoom range, then she can upgrade to better, more expensive lenses.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 24, 2010
    Unlike the Nikon 50mm, f1.8, the Canon 50mm, f1.8 has a reputation for having very unreliable AF. I would have pushed for the EF 50mm, f1.4 USM instead. I have both and the f1.8 is only used for IR applications on an IR converted camera, where I still have problems with it but it does work better for IR than the bigger brother lens.

The Canon EF-S 18-135mm, f3.5-5.6 IS should be fine for a travel lens. It has a very nice range and the IS is the real deal. Don't expect Canon "L" (or Nikon "Gold ring") image quality but for snaps it is very nice. In good light you can stop down a bit and it rewards you with considerably better images.

Indoors or after dark, especially on a Canon dRebel body, the AF will suffer and probably disappoint. I "highly" recommend the use of an external flash with an AF assist light. I use the Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes with the Canon E-TTL II interface and they are very nice for the money.

http://www.adorama.com/SG530EOS.html
    http://www.photo4less.com/pd-productid-2289-k-sigma_169101_sigma_ef_530_dg_super_e_ttl_shoe_mount_flash_for_canon_eos_with_e_ttl_ii_operation.htm

I also highly recommend the use of a flash modifier. For travel I can recommend using either a "Better Bounce Card", which you can DIY, or a Demb Flip-It, which is a commercial product and very reasonable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    Considering that she's used to P&S cameras, I suspect she'll be delighted with the 18-135mm kit lens, at least for a while. If she gets really serious about photography and starts getting annoyed by things like vignetting and slow max aperture at the long end of the zoom range, then she can upgrade to better, more expensive lenses.

thumb.gifnod.gif

Also, while I hesitate to disagree with our estimable Ziggy, I have to say that despite its limitations the 50 1.8 is a cracking lens. Yes, it's plastic. Yes, it hunts in low light. But for $100? It definitely earns its reputation as the best bang for buck in the entire Canon lineup.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »

That's pretty much exactly how I felt. Any modern DSLR and kit lens is going to be eye-opening for her, but I agree that when/if she gets serious she will begin to feel limited. I figured for a couple of years (maybe more, maybe less), she'll be happy as she learns the ins and outs. And if she never gets serious about it, at least she could use this setup indefinitely and be far, far better off than had she stayed with P&S. She's in a stage of her life where she's traveling a lot, and (finally) decided that she wants better photos from her journeys.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. As Ziggy suggested, I have been quite happy with my Nikon 50 f/1.8, so I had hoped that the Canon version would be about the same. Either way, I think that for $100, it will be much improved for indoor/low-light photography than the 18-135. I totally agree with the need for a dedicated flash, but I figured I would introduce her to this world in drips and drabs, rather than totally torching her Visa card all on the first shot. :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited June 24, 2010
    ... As Ziggy suggested, I have been quite happy with my Nikon 50 f/1.8, so I had hoped that the Canon version would be about the same. Either way, I think that for $100, it will be much improved for indoor/low-light photography than the 18-135. I totally agree with the need for a dedicated flash, but I figured I would introduce her to this world in drips and drabs, rather than totally torching her Visa card all on the first shot. :D

Please do relay my concerns about indoor/low-light AF and tell her that if she struggles with the focus it is not the camera's fault, at least not entirely. It is the combination of lens and camera and the easiest, highest quality, and most economical solution is an appropriate flash used correctly. A few quick tests once she gets her system should confirm the need. Plus the on-camera flash will yield results not much better than a P&S camera if used at default settings. An external flash and modifier will deliver much better results, giving a better experience.

By all means please give her our link and invite her to ask questions here. Lots of talented folks will offer suggestions and we all mean to help.
    ziggy53
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    I have heard about the 50 mm 1.8 being flaky, but mine seems work well.

Here is a quick shot I took to document my effort to prove Canon wrong when they say you need to send it in for repair. :D

No effort, put flash on press button.

Second shot is a crop.

Sam

PS: Unfortunately the upload screwed up the quality.:cry
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Crop

Don't believe your lying eyes....it's sharp!
    edited June 24, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Before investing in a fong dong and keeping him in yachts I would suggest also learning about bouncing flash. In home situations there is usually a handy wall \ ceiling to diffuse light. There is definitely a need for flash diffusers in some circumstances but they zap flash power and do not increase surface area anywhere near as much as a wall. A simple stofen type diffuser from fleabay for a couple of bucks is probably the best place to start. Cheap, easy to use, small, tough to lose etc.

Both devices I mentioned "are" bounce devices, so I agree. They provide some fill for the bounce, which generally looks better than bounce alone. Also, the Demb Flip-It device I use is very inexpensive, but the "Better Bounce Card" is just a dollar or so to build.
    ziggy53
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    I am a noob with kit lenses and have also had the chance to shoot with some good lenses with friends. I agree that the nicer glass will make the images better, however the most important part of the whole equation in my opinion is the operator and making sure they are comfortable. I would say that starting with the kit lenses and getting comfortable with the change from P&S to DSLR is a good way to go and then from there spend the money on the glass that makes the most sense. A little experience will most likely help with the selection of what lens is the next best step. It could be the nifty fifty prime or could be a nice zoom, but until getting some experience with the lens these decisions are best guesses.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact