Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 limited macro

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited October 7, 2010 in Cameras
It is mine! All mine! :barb :barb :barb:barb

I was hopeful and a bit skeptical when I started reading reviews about this lens with titles like "An Optical Paragon", but I decided to get it anyway. Who needs a new dryer? :rofl

I've only shot a handful of tests with it, and I can say its all true. Wonderfully sharp, with an amazing ability to close focus. I doubt I'll be chasing any bees with this lens due to the FL, but on the other hand, I could imagine being very happy with just this lens mounted on my camera for normal walk around use.

Here's a quick set of test shots -- no PP except some quick capture sharpening.

912520310_57cHE-L.jpg

912522666_vjCci-L.jpg

912522891_NX3BT-L.jpg

912524413_gF7Rp-L.jpg

912528397_RjTci-L.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 24, 2010
    Congratulations on the new lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    wings.gif

Congratulations!

Mine has absolutely lived on the K200D since I got it. It is like my old 50mm 1.7, except with autofocus, 1:1 macro, and weather sealing: love it. iloveyou.gif

Yes, I wish it was F2.0 or faster, but as compact as it is, I can't complain. I played with a K7 in the store today... good thing it had the bulky 16-50 on it, and I didn't take my DA 35, or I probably would have left with it...
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    wings.gif

Congratulations!

Mine has absolutely lived on the K200D since I got it. It is like my old 50mm 1.7, except with autofocus, 1:1 macro, and weather sealing: love it. iloveyou.gif

Yes, I wish it was F2.0 or faster, but as compact as it is, I can't complain. I played with a K7 in the store today... good thing it had the bulky 16-50 on it, and I didn't take my DA 35, or I probably would have left with it...

I actually don't mind f/2.8 as the widest aperture, because this lens seems to hit its stride even wide open. Looking at my FA50 1.4, only a handful of my keepers were shot wider than 2.8, and the ones shot wide open are either "dreamy" or "mushy" depending on how charitable I want to be.

Is the DA35 weather sealed? Didn't think it was -- only the "star" and WR lenses. ne_nau.gif

I was concerned about focus speed, but does focus faster than I feared, and I learned a trick from pentaxforums to speed up focusing and reduce hunting: for non-macro image, use the quick-shift clutch to spin the focus length to infinity, then let it autofocus. Seems to work.

At any rate, here's to fine glass and good shooting beer.gif
    edited June 26, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    Is the DA35 weather sealed? Didn't think it was -- only the "star" and WR lenses. ne_nau.gif

I learned a trick from pentaxforums to speed up focusing and reduce hunting: for non-macro image, use the quick-shift clutch to spin the focus length to infinity, then let it autofocus. Seems to work.

nope, my bad on the weather sealing, it isn't sealed. Built like a tank, though.

And agree on the autofocus - DA series lenses, with the quick-shift, are great for that. I do the same thing on my DA 55-300 when it hunts a bit in low light. thumb.gif
    edited July 12, 2010
    Bump.

I bought a small camera bag to hold just the camera, DA 35, lens pen, and spare batteries. Lowepro Rezo 110 AW.

Then I took it on a 3400km motorcycle trip in my tank bag, as my only camera/lens for the trip. Don't want to hijack too much, so I linked the large pics to thumbnails below. Really simplifies the process for me - I shoot in Av all the time, so it is simply compose, double check DOF, any exposure compensation, *click*. Although with the K200D it is more like *kerthwack*. lol3.gif

928101459_osVD7-L.jpg

932410413_igyte-L.jpg

edit: that's odd, I have sharing turned on, and had posted them at ADV. I changed to just the photos. They were displaying fine from here.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 12, 2010
    Sorry, I don't see any images and when I click on the image/link nothing shows as well. Is sharing turned on?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    I have found that this lens has some sort of mind control powers: point it at something, focus, and it seems to say "trust me, it'll work out." And it does! It just seems to give me the picture without any effort. I hope to add to my Pentax prime collection eventually -- but right now this lens is like VISA -- everywhere I want to be. :D

916589158_ZUbFL-M.jpg

916572874_bq9Sj-M.jpg

916584219_QdU4b-M.jpg
    edited October 7, 2010
    The honeymoon is over, and I still absolutely love this lens. I used it extensively on (another) motorcycle trip and it remains my favourite. I love the compact size, built in hood, and heft of it, but above all, the image quality gets me every time.

I took it on the SS Badger (coal fired car ferry across lake michigan) and just wandered around the ship taking pics. The macro ability is incredibly useful when you happen across weird details, and handholding is easy with in-body IS and the relatively wide FOV.

1035488678_RpVF5-XL.jpg

1035255280_Th6kK-XL.jpg

1035250122_oneBQ-XL.jpg

I sold my 10-20 and a teleconverter recently. All I really want to do is wander around with this lens.

and maybe the 15mm or 21mm pancake just in case

• trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    You got it just in time, check out the price increase that just happened. http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMC-DA-Macro-Limited/dp/B0015CRAZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286503134&sr=8-1
    edited October 7, 2010
    trevorb wrote: »
    You got it just in time, check out the price increase that just happened. http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMC-DA-Macro-Limited/dp/B0015CRAZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286503134&sr=8-1

Still $540 at B&H, I think I paid right at $500 for mine. ne_nau.gif

$700 is fairly ridiculous for that lens, though they are asking a princely sum for the DA 55 1.4 as well. eek7.gif