Options

Tamron 18-270mm lens

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Accessories
I have seen advertisement for the Tamron 18-270MM lens. I wonder how it compare with the Nikon 18-200

Have any one had the opportunity to play with this lens? if so, how do you feel about it?

Thanks

Joe :andy
www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• Options
    ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    I've not shot with the Nikon or the Tamron but if you'll allow me to throw in a plug for the Sigma 18-250mm DC OS HSM then I will. It's a nice lens, makes a great walk-around on my Canon 7D. It focuses faster than the Tamron since it has HSM and the Tamron does not. It costs a bit less too, if I'm not mistaken.

I also have the Sigma 18-200mm DC OS for my Sigma SD14. That too is a good lens. Without HSM, this lens costs less than the 18-250mm but IMO, the extra cost for the HSM lens is worth it.

If you're interested in seeing some photos, here some I took with the Sigma 18-250mm DC OS HSM lens:

http://ntotrr.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/People/12496069_vfkR2#895858373_4fHNo
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    I purchased this lens when Tamron first introduced it & quickly sold it after 3 months. My copy had trouble focusing (even in good light) & the contrast, color & sharpness lacked significantly. Not to mention the lens creep (yes there is a lock, but who wants to lock & unlock a lens when moving from point A to B?) I found the range to be really nice on a 1.6x, but the issues noted above were a turn off for me.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook