Options

Boudoir Workshop -- Kara Marie (NSFW)

woytekwoytek Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited July 7, 2010 in Go Figure
I attended a boudoir photography workshop a couple of weeks ago. This is new territory for me, and I wanted to learn more about it.

Part of the workshop included the opportunity to shoot a live model in the studio where the workshop was being held. Each photographer had an opportunity to work with a few poses of their choice, but everyone could shoot everyone else's poses. The image below is a collage of three shots of someone else's pose.

I'd appreciate comments and criticisms.

901576051_tpS4r-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    I like light/bright photos , but if these were mine I'd be bothered by the lack of detailed lighting of the actual Subject.

For me, only the legs in the window come close to acceptability~
    tom wise
  • Options
    jramsdalejramsdale Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2010
    But is it boudoir?
    I agree with the previous poster on the technical aspects of the photos.

Additionally, I'm not sure I understand what the pictures are about. Boudoir photos usually capture a woman in a private moment. If she's interacting with the camera I think they can't be boudoir, by definition. That's not to say they couldn't be portraits, of course, but even then I find myself confused by the message here--the model is projecting power through body language and her high position relative to the camera but I can't entirely reconcile that with her outfit and the mood of the light.

I haven't tried boudoir yet, and I think part it is because I'm not confident in my own messaging. Full credit to you for trying it out!

-j
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    I agree with all of the above. To as my advice: a bit of fill light would have made these shots really stand out, even if just a white sheet hung close (but out of shot) to camera right, but certainly some fill on her face. I'm sure you can adjust for that in post, using curves.

As far as these being boudoir photos, well, these fit better into the Pin-Up category. mwink.gif

All-in-all, good work. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    woytekwoytek Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. I can't say that I disagree with any of you on the lighting. This particular workshop was heavily entrenched in available light. They had a fill reflector there, but it needed some additional tuning that I couldn't give. I have some better-lit shots that I'll post in a few days--I'm in the middle of moving my library from Aperture to Lightroom, and I don't want to mess with things in the midst of that process.

As for boudoir vs. pin-up vs. whatever, I'd like to hear more, or maybe even see some examples to illustrate your points. I'm not disagreeing with what you are collectively saying, but I do want to hear more about why you're saying it. This was my first foray into this world, and the first workshop-like event that I've ever attended on it, so my experience and vision here are still somewhat limited.

Thanks all!

jonathan