OT - A Question

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in People
I have my grandmother's wedding dress from 1913. It is in fairly good condition, a few flaws and some yellowing. It has been folded in a zip-lock baggie. I have been wanting to get a picture of my granddaughter, who is almost 16, in the wedding dress. How many girls get to take photos in their great-great-grandmother's wedding dress. She fits in it lacking a couple inches of getting it buttoned around the ribs and waist. Also a photo in my wedding dress. Wish I had my mother's wedding dress and get all 3 generations of her.

Would you try to do her hair to mimic that style or just let her be her? I don't have the shoes. Thought I would let her be barefoot?

We have a "Pioneer Farm" here in Austin with log buildings and such. Will be taking photos there.

Your ideas please?

Thanks,
LadyTX

Comments

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Period hair for sure if you can!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Period hair would be very cool! What a neat idea. I like the idea of doing some very period, and then some of her just being her. You could have her study poses from that era.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Which pioneer town are you going to use, the one up in RR or the Ghost Town in Manor?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    I would definitely go for the period look. Try to mimic the more formal stance and stern facial expressions common to that error as well as the hair style.

Sam
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    When my youngest was much younger she attended a "tea party" where the girls were to dress in their mothers clothes. She wore a white dress and oversized heels. Her makeup was heavy and her hair had a date with the hot rollers. The result was SUPER CUTE. The Ill fitting dress was cinched up in the back with a handfull of clothespins...again adding to the cute factor. The "play dress up" look was a hit.

If not that route....definately do the hair(professionally). She refused to get her hair done for sr pics, but it always looked so stunning for proms and dances etc. The textures make a huge difference. From ho-hum to wow!thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    I would actually do both: a set with her modern hair, and some with more period hair, almost as "recreation". Especially if her hair is wavy or curly, period hair for that period will be easy, and if you're good with hair you could manage it yourself (if not, then echo Jeff's suggestion to have it done BUT by somebody who knows historical styles); if it's straight, it will take more work and is definitely for a pro. Period hair could also include down and loose as well as up and styled - definitely the "boudoir" look of the period, but an option.

you can't find enough pictures/info online, check out Wilcox's "The Mode in Costume" - it's more to do with the clothes, but has great line drawings and discussions of accompanying hairstyles and accessories for each period, too (wonderful book for anybody interested in costume/fashion through the ages!)

Also, I'd probably include fresh flowers for hair - she's young and it would fit the period beautifully - lots of images from the period of girls and brides with their hair loose, but entwined with flowers (and, in fact, carefully dressed to create the "natural" look). I keep thinking of the Cottingley Fairies pictures - a couple of years later, but perhaps close enough in this case. :)
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Which pioneer town are you going to use, the one up in RR or the Ghost Town in Manor?

We are going to Pioneer Farms in NE Austin. It is a bit dated for the dress period. My grandmother did not live in a log cabin but in a very old house on a farm. They did have indians near by who would ride to their farm on their horses and trade things with my grandparents for chickens and eggs. My grandparents farmed by horses and by hand. No indoor plumbing, running water or electricity. So for me that setting is appropriate.

Don't know about the RR or Ghost Town but I sure would like to. How do I check these out?
    LadyTX
    edited June 26, 2010
    Thanks all for the replies. Looks like "period" hair is the way to go, at least first. Then a shoot with my granddaughter the way she is today.

I have looked at some pictures from that time period. Seems they mostly have long veils and definitely some "hairdos"! Don't know how granddaughter will feel about those ... lol. Very stiff and solemn faces.
    LadyTX
    edited June 26, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    I would actually do both: a set with her modern hair, and some with more period hair, almost as "recreation". Especially if her hair is wavy or curly, period hair for that period will be easy, and if you're good with hair you could manage it yourself (if not, then echo Jeff's suggestion to have it done BUT by somebody who knows historical styles); if it's straight, it will take more work and is definitely for a pro. Period hair could also include down and loose as well as up and styled - definitely the "boudoir" look of the period, but an option.

you can't find enough pictures/info online, check out Wilcox's "The Mode in Costume" - it's more to do with the clothes, but has great line drawings and discussions of accompanying hairstyles and accessories for each period, too (wonderful book for anybody interested in costume/fashion through the ages!)

Also, I'd probably include fresh flowers for hair - she's young and it would fit the period beautifully - lots of images from the period of girls and brides with their hair loose, but entwined with flowers (and, in fact, carefully dressed to create the "natural" look). I keep thinking of the Cottingley Fairies pictures - a couple of years later, but perhaps close enough in this case. :)

No curly hair here Diva. Straight hair just like mine with a very strong will not to curl. Lots of HAIRSPRAY!!
    LadyTX
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Oh man, can you do this at Christmas so I can tag along? mwink.gif Period hair, posing, and processing would be so cool. Paired with a modern version of your granddaughter just being herself would be priceless. Can't wait to see the result. thumb.gif