4 from the backyard

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in People
My daughter was a willing model yesterday. Any feedback on how these could be improved would greatly be appreciated.

913162025_nnGgJ-XL.jpg
913144807_hBwTW-XL.jpg
913144673_7YWJx-XL.jpg
913144563_HPxL4-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    I think the last one could use touch more exposure..but really they can not be improved. Nice ones!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    #1 is my fav.
    Only thing I might try on that one is darkening the highlights on her cheeks so you can see some skin texture.

#2 I would de-sat the red 50%

#3 is perfect
    f1.4?

#4 lighten and de-sat the red
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Really nice. #1 FTW.
    The sepia tone in #3 works so perfectly with her dress and stoic expression.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    I think the last one could use touch more exposure..but really they can not be improved. Nice ones!
    #1 is my fav.
    Only thing I might try on that one is darkening the highlights on her cheeks so you can see some skin texture.

#2 I would de-sat the red 50%

#3 is perfect
    f1.4?

#4 lighten and de-sat the red
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Really nice. #1 FTW.
    The sepia tone in #3 works so perfectly with her dress and stoic expression.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think the red licorice she ate right before isn't helping with the reds is it? Also, I had bumped up the vibrance in LR which didn't really help here either.

Here is the last one with the reds brought down a little more and lightened a little bit. Any better?
    913447836_oWQs4-XL.jpg

Here is the 2nd one with the reds brought down:
    913447782_Wb3aq-XL.jpg

All were taken with the 85 f/1.4 lens shot at f/2.8.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    ha ha... if it were me I would clean up the red stuff around her mouth. I wonder what she had been snacking on?
    #1 is verry pretty.
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Love the new shots!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    She is gorgeous, the lighting is beautiful, focus is grand, and they all look so natural! It is probabally just me...but if these were my shots I'd be nit picking the pinpoint flash lights in the eyes. I like natural catchlights much more, but have personally been working on honing my on camera flash skills of late. With Ettl, a -2 exposure comp and HSS I'm getting really natural looking shots...EXCEPT they end up leaving the tell-tale pinpoint flash lights in the pupils which I don't like. Is it just me in not liking that look? Other than the pupils these are great :) She is a natural in front of the camera and the 85 glass looks like a treat! I'm curious on everyone else's take on the on camera flash eye effects. The only other thing for me is in #4 with her head turned she is out of the DOF plane for that left eye and it is oof. It happens to me all the time when I shoot wide and they eyes aren't on the same plane. That doesn't bother me as much as the pinpoints though. thanks for sharing!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    She is gorgeous, the lighting is beautiful, focus is grand, and they all look so natural! It is probabally just me...but if these were my shots I'd be nit picking the pinpoint flash lights in the eyes. I like natural catchlights much more, but have personally been working on honing my on camera flash skills of late. With Ettl, a -2 exposure comp and HSS I'm getting really natural looking shots...EXCEPT they end up leaving the tell-tale pinpoint flash lights in the pupils which I don't like. Is it just me in not liking that look? Other than the pupils these are great :) She is a natural in front of the camera and the 85 glass looks like a treat! I'm curious on everyone else's take on the on camera flash eye effects. The only other thing for me is in #4 with her head turned she is out of the DOF plane for that left eye and it is oof. It happens to me all the time when I shoot wide and they eyes aren't on the same plane. That doesn't bother me as much as the pinpoints though. thanks for sharing!
    Hi Kelly - thx for the comments. She does like to "pose." I actually agree with you on the pinpoints. Don't like them. I had just finished putting away the off-camera lighting and didn't want to drag them back out. I should have had I known I was going to get these 4 shots. I really like #1 and it's going on the wall somewhere but only after is enhance the catchlights.
    Mike J

Facebook