Printer problem

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000002987 StartFragment:0000000457 EndFragment:0000002971 <meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Unix)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Question details:

I have two i9900 printers. One is mine the other is owned by a photographic associate. Mine works as new.

His printer stopped working awhile (months) ago and had an error message “waste tank full”

Contrary to the standard response of send it in to a repair facility I was able to locate the information necessary to clear this error and clean the absorption pads.

After cleaning and resetting the waste tank full error the first print came out pretty close with a good gray. I almost buttoned up the printer and returned, but thought I would go ahead and print out an 8X10 of the test image. I had been testing with 4X6. This print was way different with the now continuing deep pink tint in the grays.

It now prints with good detail, light and dark accuracy, good definition between tonal ranges. While individual colors are pretty close, and pure black is good, it can not print gray.

I understand there is only one black and these printers have a limited ability to accurately create gray tones, but my i9900 is able to get close, very slight blue tint, and with tweaking isn't totally horrible. His printer on the other hand has a deep pink tint, that can not be corrected.

I have installed new Canon inks, tried different papers and printer settings, with all the results yielding the same deep pink tint.

I installed the his print head and inks in my i9900 and it prints fine.

The print heads are clean and unclogged, the inks are good, the prints are clean and detailed.

What is left that would cause this completely unacceptable color issue.

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000002987 StartFragment:0000000457 EndFragment:0000002971 <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Question details:

I have two i9900 printers. One is mine the other is owned by a photographic associate. Mine works as new.

His printer stopped working awhile (months) ago and had an error message “waste tank full”

Contrary to the standard response of send it in to a repair facility I was able to locate the information necessary to clear this error and clean the absorption pads.

After cleaning and resetting the waste tank full error the first print came out pretty close with a good gray. I almost buttoned up the printer and returned, but thought I would go ahead and print out an 8X10 of the test image. I had been testing with 4X6. This print was way different with the now continuing deep pink tint in the grays.

It now prints with good detail, light and dark accuracy, good definition between tonal ranges. While individual colors are pretty close, and pure black is good, it can not print gray.

I understand there is only one black and these printers have a limited ability to accurately create gray tones, but my i9900 is able to get close, very slight blue tint, and with tweaking isn't totally horrible. His printer on the other hand has a deep pink tint, that can not be corrected.

I have installed new Canon inks, tried different papers and printer settings, with all the results yielding the same deep pink tint.

I installed the his print head and inks in my i9900 and it prints fine.

The print heads are clean and unclogged, the inks are good, the prints are clean and detailed.

What is left that would cause this completely unacceptable color issue.

Thanks,

Sam

Try asking your question at this site http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php
    They have helped me keep Canon printers in shape over the years. They do deal with any make and model of printer. Some of us that frequent that site are also into refilling.

Good Luck
    Jane B.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    The other thing that I have seen at the office (not nearly as calibrated) is that printing from different operating systems to the same networked printer can result in different colors. Talk about making it hard to proof something. My Vista and Win 7 prints (and occasional Mac Snow Leopard) look different from everyone else's XP prints. So is the OS itself the same? And yes, I am just guessing....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact