Options

Cropping for print

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Technique
Ok, I knew I'd run into this sooner or later but my MMA photos have been getting a little popular with the fighters, sponsors and schools. My problem is, most of them want 8x10s and my crops aren't really for 8x10s. How do you all crop for specific photo sizes like 8x10, 12x18, etc.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 25, 2010
    Assuming that the image "will" crop properly to another aspect ratio, the Cropping tool in Photoshop does a nice job. If I'm in a hurry and ultimate quality is not an issue, then Picassa and FastStone have a nice cropping ability too.

If you are wanting to "adapt" a given image into a different aspect picture frame then you might consider adding a digital matte to the image. A museum matte looks nice if you want to add a caption.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Assuming that the image "will" crop properly to another aspect ratio, the Cropping tool in Photoshop does a nice job. If I'm in a hurry and ultimate quality is not an issue, then Picassa and FastStone have a nice cropping ability too.

If you are wanting to "adapt" a given image into a different aspect picture frame then you might consider adding a digital matte to the image. A museum matte looks nice if you want to add a caption.

Well, the situation is this, my MMA photos are cropped heavily at times anyway so I can control the cropping for print. I do 99% of my work in LR because it's just faster than bringing it into PS and creating the huge files to work on. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to crop (properly) in LR. If not, I can bring photos into PS, just takes a lot longer.

Basically, I'm looking for the technique on how to do this. Of course, I know how to crop, just don't know how to crop for a specific print size.

Digital mattes are also a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I'll have to search for some templates/examples.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    Here's an example:

901415093_poqns-L.jpg

Customer wanted to buy a 12x18 of this one. Obviously, it won't print properly at 12x18. I talked him into a 12x12 which prints fine. But, let's say the customer wouldn't change the size they wanted--not to mention I make a little less on the 12x12 but that's not a huge deal. What then? How would I print this one as an 8x10 without having borders on the print?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    I do all of my cropping in PS...thru the image button...it is slower but it is the best ai have found....I usuall crop mine to 4x5 aspect---8x10" at 300dpi (depending on camera used...sometimes it is 300-400dpi that gets me as near 8x10 as possible)...making sure the only box at the bottom of the dialogue box checked is the constrain proportions...after cropping I take them in GF for final uprezing and then back to PS for sharpening.......I also work with copies that way my files say native..........have not tried cropping in LR3
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I do all of my cropping in PS...thru the image button...it is slower but it is the best ai have found....I usuall crop mine to 4x5 aspect---8x10" at 300dpi (depending on camera used...sometimes it is 300-400dpi that gets me as near 8x10 as possible)...making sure the only box at the bottom of the dialogue box checked is the constrain proportions...after cropping I take them in GF for final uprezing and then back to PS for sharpening.......I also work with copies that way my files say native..........have not tried cropping in LR3

Hmm, I'm hoping this isn't the only good solution. I'm working with an older iMac and it can take quite some time to export into PS.
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Well, the situation is this, my MMA photos are cropped heavily at times anyway so I can control the cropping for print. I do 99% of my work in LR because it's just faster than bringing it into PS and creating the huge files to work on. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to crop (properly) in LR. If not, I can bring photos into PS, just takes a lot longer.

Basically, I'm looking for the technique on how to do this. Of course, I know how to crop, just don't know how to crop for a specific print size.

Digital mattes are also a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I'll have to search for some templates/examples.

Thanks.

Lightroom's cropping tool is super simple. I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I'm 99% sure there is an option in the cropping tool to set an aspect ratio. Want an 8x10? Enter "8" and "10" and Lightroom will only let you crop for the exact dimensions of an 8x10.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    run_kmc wrote: »
    Lightroom's cropping tool is super simple. I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I'm 99% sure there is an option in the cropping tool to set an aspect ratio. Want an 8x10? Enter "8" and "10" and Lightroom will only let you crop for the exact dimensions of an 8x10.

I'll have to play with it some more and try and find it.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010

:::slapping hand on forehead:::

Duh! It's right there! If it were a snake it would have bitten me! Sorry to bother you all.

And thanks.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010

The only problem here is it is not just cropping but it is interpolating the aspect ratio......at least this is the case for PS and I presume LR also.......that is why I do it the way I do .....so there is no interpolating going on.............the only software I allow to interpolate is GF..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    The only problem here is it is not just cropping but it is interpolating the aspect ratio......at least this is the case for PS and I presume LR also.......that is why I do it the way I do .....so there is no interpolating going on.............the only software I allow to interpolate is GF..........
    No, LR doesn't interpolate, it just crops. So if you have an image that is 600x400 and you want to crop to 5x4 or 8x10, you end up with a 500x400 image. Now, if you want to change the total number of pixels at output, you can specify that you want to upsize during export (which I haven't tried out). Or you can specify the number of dpi when you print. Or you can take the image into GF and resize there.

Main thing is that in the crop tool, you don't do any interpolation.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Also make sure you lock the ratio in LR, it works great. I use it quite a bit also with Virtual Copies in LR I can have different ratios for different prints. I also keep this page bookmarked to give me easy quick reference to options on ratios.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    Also make sure you lock the ratio in LR, it works great. I use it quite a bit also with Virtual Copies in LR I can have different ratios for different prints. I also keep this page <http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality&gt; bookmarked to give me easy quick reference to options on ratios.

Thanks. Hadn't seen this page before!