Canon 7d - got tips? pointers?

CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in Cameras
I ordered a 7 day today, upgrading from a 5 year old 20d. I would most appreciate posts with tips and pointers on using this camera, things that you struggled with to figure out, etc. I would especially like to hear how people are utilizing the new AF system. My old method in the 20d was to either use the center focus point or if I really wanted to be more precise, picking a specific focus point. How would that "translate" in this new AF system?

I understand that the camera has the capability to essentially self-calibrate a lens? Would you advise doing this pronto or wait and see if necessary?

Now that I have ordered it, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Looking forward to all of your helpful posts.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    I ordered a 7 day today, upgrading from a 5 year old 20d. I would most appreciate posts with tips and pointers on using this camera, things that you struggled with to figure out, etc. I would especially like to hear how people are utilizing the new AF system. My old method in the 20d was to either use the center focus point or if I really wanted to be more precise, picking a specific focus point. How would that "translate" in this new AF system?

Exactly the same :D There are other focus modes, but it's entirely possible to use it exactly as you have described. Only with more focus points. And greater accuracy. At lighting speed. mwink.gif
    I understand that the camera has the capability to essentially self-calibrate a lens? Would you advise doing this pronto or wait and see if necessary?

Search "autofocus microadjust" - Scott Quier wrote several helpful posts about ways to use this feature. If it's not in this section, try "Technique".
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

I debated between the 7d, the 5d mark II or waiting for the next generation 5d markII. Then I looked up the history of how often canon releases new cameras. Seems that the full frames are on close to a 3 year cycle which means that the 5d mark II is just about half way; didn't feel like waiting that long!

Regards,
    Cynthia