antithesis

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
788-road-runner-2693-v2.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• HomerHomer Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    The "antithesis" of this image is paramount :D, cool photo.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Wonderful -- how big was this?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 26, 2010
    Wow, pure Dali. Love it. clap.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Pretty cool. Somebody had to have quite a vision to see that.
    The photo for it is excellent. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Thank you Homer, Mary, Richard. This has long been one of my favorites, and I've waited until I felt my skills were up to bringing it out.

The original artwork, made for me by a friend, Mike Radacovich, stood about a foot tall at the back and maybe 8 inches tall at the head. The legs are made of coat hanger wire and bound at the knees for stability. The body is an arm of an abandoned chair found in the desert and the head is a knot of wood from a fallen tree. I'd seen these items laying about his busy yard and project benches along with numerous other bits and pieces that made no sense to me. One visit, they were all assembled. He said he made it for me. I thought it was great. I asked if he knew all along what he was making? He told me all he knew was that it was something for me. He was just collecting odds and ends but didn't know what it was. On a trip to the beach he found the eye, a piece of worn abalone shell. That's when it all came together for him and he knew what it was. We both thought it was cool that his legs were bound, and being inanimate it was kind of like the antithesis of a road runner.

I'd kept the little roadrunner on top of a shelf in my office for several years thinking how I thought it would look cool with a picture of it next to it. Finally, I took it out to El Mirage dry lake for a shoot. The ravages of the trip didn't fair well for the bird. He crumbled and fell apart about a year later.

The shot is probably 5 years old. I've messed with it before, but this time I got what I wanted to out of it.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Nice back story Walter. Neatly said.
    Michael
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    wfeller wrote: »
    Thank you Homer, Mary, Richard. This has long been one of my favorites, and I've waited until I felt my skills were up to bringing it out.

The original artwork, made for me by a friend, Mike Radacovich, stood about a foot tall at the back and maybe 8 inches tall at the head. The legs are made of coat hanger wire and bound at the knees for stability. The body is an arm of an abandoned chair found in the desert and the head is a knot of wood from a fallen tree. I'd seen these items laying about his busy yard and project benches along with numerous other bits and pieces that made no sense to me. One visit, they were all assembled. He said he made it for me. I thought it was great. I asked if he knew all along what he was making? He told me all he knew was that it was something for me. He was just collecting odds and ends but didn't know what it was. On a trip to the beach he found the eye, a piece of worn abalone shell. That's when it all came together for him and he knew what it was. We both thought it was cool that his legs were bound, and being inanimate it was kind of like the antithesis of a road runner.

I'd kept the little roadrunner on top of a shelf in my office for several years thinking how I thought it would look cool with a picture of it next to it. Finally, I took it out to El Mirage dry lake for a shoot. The ravages of the trip didn't fair well for the bird. He crumbled and fell apart about a year later.

The shot is probably 5 years old. I've messed with it before, but this time I got what I wanted to out of it.

-

I love the story behind the bird. Amazing what one can see with bits and pieces of "stuff" laying around to become something in the future.

Never thought of doing something like this before, but I do have a piece of artwork that my son did...I just might have to give this a try. You've inspired me -- my old mind is thinking again :D

My hats off to your friend for seeing something with what he had and for you to put it in it's natural setting for a wonderful photo.

Sorry to hear the trip wore the old bird out :cry
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    antithesis
    What a great sculpture! thumb.gif

I love thus image. clap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Pretty cool. Somebody had to have quite a vision to see that.
    The photo for it is excellent. thumb.gif

Thanks Michael- sorry I missed your comment on the first pass. I type slow.
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Nice back story Walter. Neatly said.

Thank you again Mary and Michael.
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    What a great sculpture! thumb.gif

I love thus image. clap.gif

Don

Thanks Don.

My friend is quite talented. He builds these incredible waterfalls and the detailed little habitats around them. I've seen him bring in spiders to live above a certain kind of plant that harbors a specific type of fish, etc. Quite amazing to me.
    Anybody can do it.