WTB: Canon FD-EOS Converter

Alaskan RoverAlaskan Rover Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 4, 2010 in House of Canon
Looking for a TRUE Canon FD-EOS Converter, whereby the longer FD lenses can be used on an EOS body, including some of the earlier EOS digitals.

NOTE: This is NOT the Canon Macro Lens Converter FD-EOS...(that one is really only good for close-ups). This is a true infinity-focus oriented FD-EOS converter. It is basically only to be used with lenses 400mm and up acording to the Canon data. I'm looking to use it with my FD 400mm and FD 800mm. Any of the true converters out there?

I've got a LOT of high-quality FD long lenses that I don't want to sell as I still use them with my F-1, but want to convert them to EOS use on an early EOS digital. Thanks. Either leave note here or PM me.

Comments

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
  • Alaskan RoverAlaskan Rover Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thanks, Jim.

But now I'm confused...Lol. That unit seems to be priced like the "Canon" Macro FD-EX Lense Converter...yet these non-Canon units are not supposed to be infinity-focus, but this one says it is. Must be a knock-ff of the actual Canon unit. The actual true Canon adapter IS infinity focus, but normally don't sell that low. So I wonder what this adapter is? At that price-point, I'll definitely check it out!!! From what I understand, most of the FD-EF lense adapters don't focus to infinity....making them useable basically as a macro. The true Canon FD-EF adapters had a very limited run, but were high-quality.

I realize, of course, that some features of the EOS digitals won't be obtainable while using the FD lenses, but enough features would be to make it worthwhile for big originally HYPER-expensive Canon long-lenses of 600mm and up. The market for these nice FDs is rock-bottom now, so I'm keeping em. Might as well use em. Ha ha....maybe people say the same thing about an IBM 286!!
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Thanks, Jim.

But now I'm confused...Lol. That unit seems to be priced like the "Canon" Macro FD-EX Lense Converter...yet these non-Canon units are not supposed to be infinity-focus, but this one says it is. Must be a knock-ff of the actual Canon unit. The actual true Canon adapter IS infinity focus, but normally don't sell that low. So I wonder what this adapter is? At that price-point, I'll definitely check it out!!! From what I understand, most of the FD-EF lense adapters don't focus to infinity....making them useable basically as a macro. The true Canon FD-EF adapters had a very limited run, but were high-quality.

I realize, of course, that some features of the EOS digitals won't be obtainable while using the FD lenses, but enough features would be to make it worthwhile for big originally HYPER-expensive Canon long-lenses of 600mm and up. The market for these nice FDs is rock-bottom now, so I'm keeping em. Might as well use em. Ha ha....maybe people say the same thing about an IBM 286!!
    Hello,
    It is actually a short tele extender (1.25x) so it would have optical elements in it, as opposed to just a straight adapter. There are a few companies that sell them, but I really don't know how well they work in the real world. Primes longer then 200mm are suppose to give the best results. Good luck thumb.gif
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I've only ever seen a few genuine Canon adapters for sale and they all exceeded the $1000+ mark.

Here's a page showing the legit version of the adapter, unfortunately the source of the photos has since shut down his site as well as his eBay store(one of the very few who used to sell them).
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.