Options

Gee, Did They All Wear 10 Gallon Hats Back Then ?

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
The top height on this era of cars just blows me away. Thinking in that vein, I wonder if they somehow used sail power when the wind was up:D

This land cruiser is a 1909 Cadillac Model 30. The model 30 was introduced by Cadillac in 1908. Cadillac was acquired by General Motors in 1909 and for the next 5 years the Model 30 was the only one offered by Cadillac, but it did come in a few different variations of body styles and seating arrangements. Starting in 1915, Cadillac again offered an enclosed car.

This car has a 226 C.I. engine putting out 30 HP. Interestingly, a windshield was an option on the car. Of particular interest to me is that air-pump arrangement on the drivers side that apparently delivers a good blast of air to drive that tuba-sized horn.

914047232_LUkZW-XL.jpg

914047467_hhAtS-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Hi Tom.....I think women wore some pretty wild hats back then....The pictures Ive seen show hats that are 1 to 2 foot tall.....:D Nice shot, Tom

azzaro:D
  • Options
    rcofrcof Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Beautiful car! Story of my life, champaign taste and a beer salary.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    You're right, Gary. The hats many of the women wore back then were truly monstrous in proportion. You wonder how much trouble it was to keep them on when these cars got up to speed. I quess that's why you saw so many of them with these chin bands used to secure them. That whole era of motoring had to be a real hoot.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    rcof...

What really appeals to me about these old cars is the character each one possessed. As the years rolled along, cars lost a lot of their individualism and, today, we have nothing but a bunch of sterile clones to ride around in. Thank goodness for those few manufacturers who are willing to put out a car with character.

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Neat autos. The hat thing. Right. One tends to forget these points when not so familiar.
    Michael