Canon 1D IV

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited June 29, 2010 in Cameras
Anyone using this. opinions? I am considering moving up from 7D for bird photography.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 26, 2010
    I don't have one (yet) but I think that would be the very best choice for birding and wildlife in general in the Canon world. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy. :D

There's got to be some users out there on dgrin.rolleyes1.gif
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=171106

dlplumer wrote: »
    Anyone using this. opinions? I am considering moving up from 7D for bird photography.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    What do you want to know about it? ear.gif

I know that out of the box, some folks have some invalid complaints about it and how the D3/D3s is better while others are happy with it out of the box. I think most people forget/fail to realize that canon gave the photographer choices with this camera and it's best when it's fine tuned to the shooting style of the photographer.

Info on the custom functions

There is an 80+ page pdf just on the ai servo! This is how SI's Peter Read Miller sets his 1d.

My gut feeling -- you can't go wrong with top of the line camera from Nikon or Canon. Remember, in the end, it's the photographer that the most important piece of equipment.

I guess my questions is -- why do you think you need the 1d and what do you think it will do for you that you're not getting with the 7d?

In general, you'll get weather sealed body, faster & more accurate AF, higher frame rate, higher ISO and to most, better image quality. Note, you also lose some zoom since it's 1.3x rather than a 1.6 and the extra reach does come in handy with bird photography.

I've been happy with the body other than the fact that I have small hands and have issues holding the body. I have no regrets.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 28, 2010
    Birds are small, Dan. Don't forget you'll be giving up 1/3 of your reach by going to an APS-H sensor.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Birds are small, Dan. Don't forget you'll be giving up 1/3 of your reach by going to an APS-H sensor.

Exactly...that's why I hardly ever use my pro body anymore. I need more reach not less.

Too bad you can't have the pro AF with the crop camera. :cry
    edited June 28, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Exactly...that's why I hardly ever use my pro body anymore. I need more reach not less.

Too bad you can't have the pro AF with the crop camera. :cry

Thanks Ric and Joel. Good advice.
  • Alaskan RoverAlaskan Rover Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    The more I read about the 1D, the more I like them!!

Plus, I just love their artistically sculpted body. I can tell it was designed by a 'real' designer...sort of like the original classy Poloroid SX-70 Land camera was designed by someone with an eye towards aesthetics.

I love it when form doesn't FOLLOW function, but joins it hand in hand down the same delightful path!!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 28, 2010
    Remember that the difference in FOV between a Canon 7D and a 1D MKIV is not as much as the difference between the 7D and the 1Ds or 5D series cameras (which are FF). I appreciate that Canon provides the "middle" format, compared to manufacturers with fewer options.

In good light the 7D autofocus should be working fairly similarly to the 1D/1Ds as long as you can find sharp edges to work from. The 1D/1Ds series AF does better with subjects with rounded edges and with lower light levels.

Scott Bourne uses 5 - Canon 1D MKIV bodies for birds (and other wildlife), as a "for instance". (This according to a post as of Feb. 2010.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 29, 2010
    I'm guessing somebody who can afford to shoot with 5 1DMKIV bodies, also can afford 600mm and 800mm lenses to go with them. For us mere mortals, the difference between a 1.3 crop body and a 1.6 crop body is like going from a 400 to a 500mm lens.
    edited June 29, 2010
    I'm guessing somebody who can afford to shoot with 5 1DMKIV bodies, also can afford 600mm and 800mm lenses to go with them. For us mere mortals, the difference between a 1.3 crop body and a 1.6 crop body is like going from a 400 to a 500mm lens.

Are you still enjoying and using your 500?
    edited June 29, 2010
    Are you still enjoying and using your 500?
    I love my 500, Dan. As you know, I bought it prematurely for my Yellowstone trip, and have only used it a couple of times since. By prematurely, I figured I'd wait until I was retired to buy it because it would seem like such a shame to let it sit on a shelf 99.9% of the time. But the wife preferred me buying it for that trip rather than renting. Great wife, I know. I did have an occasion to use it a few weeks ago, so keep your eyes open for a thread by me in the wildlife forum some day soon. mwink.gif

Oh, and I use the 500 most often with my 40D because of the extra reach it gives me over the 5DMII. Results are still spectacular with that lens on the 40D, and I always have to look at my EXIF to tell which body I used. That's really why I'm thinking there's not a whole lot to gain with the 1DMKIV over the 7D. That is unless you can afford an 800mm, in which case Art Wolfe would probably be jealous of you. :D
    edited June 29, 2010
    But the wife preferred me buying it for that trip

Let us know if she becomes available! rolleyes1.gifhide:D
    edited June 29, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Let us know if she becomes available! rolleyes1.gifhide:D

:nono rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 29, 2010
    :nono rolleyes1.gif

funny-dog-pictures-ashamed-dog-in-plant.jpg
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    That's really why I'm thinking there's not a whole lot to gain with the 1DMKIV over the 7D.

My personal experience with a 1D Mark II and now a 40D I'd tend to echo the above. In my opinion the reason you would want a 1DMKIV over the 7D would be you need weather sealing (do you want to shoot in the rain? In extreme dust?) or you need exceptional low-light performance.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited June 29, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    My personal experience with a 1D Mark II and now a 40D I'd tend to echo the above. In my opinion the reason you would want a 1DMKIV over the 7D would be you need weather sealing (do you want to shoot in the rain? In extreme dust?) or you need exceptional low-light performance.

None of the above; I was primarily intrigued with the extra speed and focus accuracydeal.gif
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    The 7D is weather sealed but maybe not as well as the 1DMKIV...

http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

mercphoto wrote: »
    1DMKIV over the 7D would be you need weather sealing (do you want to shoot in the rain? In extreme dust?)
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    None of the above; I was primarily intrigued with the extra speed and focus accuracydeal.gif

Can't tell you if you *need* the extra speed and AF of the 1-series or not, compared to your 7D. But I will tell you, if you can swing the purchase, you will NOT be disappointed with a 1-series camera.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu