Kids on the beach

cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in People
Shot in the evening in San Destin, Fl. One gold reflector on camera left. D90 70-200 F8 1/500 82mm. C&C would be great so I can do it better next time.

914345588_ASYBV-L.jpg
Chad - www.brberrys.com
If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.

Comments

• SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    Wow, nice shot. Great colors, and the kids are cute. You must have raked up the tar balls before you took the shot? :)
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thanks. We beat the oil there by about a week. Tarballs suck.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    The nits first...

The horizon is tilted and shouldn't be.

The horizon runs through their heads and ought not.

Yes! I am an LSU fan, but plain shirts without logos would have come off plenty more refined as a portrait.

Im not sold on gold reflectors as they alter the color temp of the natural light too much in most cases. I prefer white or silver, but actually prefer to use flash and face subjects slightly away from the sun. Facing the sun and bright reflectors cause squinting which is tough to control with adults....let alone kiddos. Either way, cleaner color can be achieved with white or silver as opposed to gold.

Here are a couple where the subject....my family....is facing away from the sun and lit by flash through a white umbrella. The flash...daylight balanced....the white balance in camera set for daylight. Taken a few miles away from Sandestin at a much quieter beach on HWY 30A.thumb.gif

891591132_wCq8J-M.jpg

891590807_9dpTk-M.jpg
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thanks! This was my first try with the reflector, but it looks a bit to close to me now. I will probably try the silver also next time (its a 5 way). I had not thought about the horizon, but now that you say it I will keep that on my mental checklist. I agree on the shirts, but refined was not what we were looking for. More precisely "they are kids and that's what they always wear".
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 27, 2010
    I like the color and location thumb.gif I might move the gold a little farther back so the effect isn't as dramatic.

And adding to what Jeff suggests about the horizon, I might also keep the feet either under then or maybe have them draw their knees up close so they're not what you see first.

For the first time with a reflector, I think you did well and as I say, it's a gorgeous location!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thanks! I noticed the feet, but didn't really pay too much attention until now. Looking at mine and at Jeff's last one, they do draw your eye a bit. Another great suggestion and something that I will look for next time.

The Emerald Coast Beaches never disappoint. Hopefully it will stay that way.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com