Options

Wedding Photography List - Need To Find

BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited June 28, 2010 in Weddings
Hi everyone! I have searched this area but cant find what i am looking for - so here is a post! I am looking for a list or check list for "must have" photos to take for a wedding. I have seen one in the past where its broken down by bride or groom but as long as its easy to follow - that works for me! Does anyone have a link or any advice on where to find one?

Thanks in advance!
...more to come!

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Oh sheesh THAT list.eek7.gif

Id forget it.

While you are working your way through the list you might miss a fun, dynamic, original shot...one that "says it all" for the wedding you are shooting.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Oh sheesh THAT list.eek7.gif

Id forget it.

While you are working your way through the list you might miss a fun, dynamic, original shot...one that "says it all" for the wedding you are shooting.
    Jeff! Post some recent shots darnet! And come around more often!!!

OK. now after the treadjack, yeah Jeff is right. There are must haves all the time. Must have is getting the emotion of the day... a list will make things stale. Certainly the kiss, first dance, cake cut, bouquet toss and the like are things you should have, but following your couple around all day will negate any need for a list. If you fudge one of those it is easily forgotten if you get shots of the couple that show their love for one another, show the beauty of the day and surroundings, and show them and their guests having fun. That is what people really want, atleast the people who hire me.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    I have list of must have's that i made up over 25 yrs ago.....it is not to be follwed per se.....
    it is to be memorized and then not worried about.....by not worried about I mean do not follow it
    verbatim.....it is too set your mind in motion to think as your shooting about what to do next.......
    every wedding is different and so the shot must evolve to the situation at hand...........I made the list
    as a visual for me when i was asked by a client "What shots do you take to cover the day"......
    I was shooting film at the time........so I made a list...but I stressed to each client that saw it that
    "I do not follow it to the tee......as each wedding and situation is different" .........as Jeff said trying to follow a list
    consumes time and is stressful as heck..........

Things to remember are shots mentioned by bride or groom:
    Those are the ones NOT to miss..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    Love it! Thanks for the answers. For the record, i completely agree! The Bride asked to see one - i think so she can get an idea of the images SHE will want to make sure are taken. She is a wee tad nervous to say the least. I had seen one before, so thought i would ask here.

BTW: Thanks for not ganging up on me! This was my first post in the Weddings area - Some amazing talent in here!
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    I do have a list I bring with me for a few reasons. 1 - I have forgotten an essential shot before because I was so focused on getting the emotion and the fun stuff. But the main reason was because I want to make things easy for the brides, so I ask them for a list of people that they know they'd love to have "formals" with - family formals are huge up here, so the list helps me to keep things flowing smoothly.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    No list is a good list. A list can get you in hot water when the one that you promised is on it and it didn't turn out. It also means that you can't be fluidly shooting because you are checking things off. For formals, I tell the bride to make a list and give it to one of the bridesmaids, sisters or cousins who know everyone at the wedding. I get a copy but since i don't know anyone it doesn't mean anything to me. It is the person assigned the list's job to get everyone at the spot and line them up. I pose them and tell them if we follow direction then we all get to go to the party faster.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    Hi Kathy, Very good point. I am going to go that route and send the Maid of Honour an email. I will offer some suggestions - and go from there. I realized after i posted this thread why 'the list' rang a bell... My wife reminded me that i dont have any pictures with my groomsmen - as the photographer forgot to get any of those.

...Or did we forget to ask for it?! Interesting question.
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I have list of must have's that i made up over 25 yrs ago.....it is not to be follwed per se.....
    it is to be memorized and then not worried about.....by not worried about I mean do not follow it
    verbatim.....it is too set your mind in motion to think as your shooting about what to do next.......
    every wedding is different and so the shot must evolve to the situation at hand...........I made the list
    as a visual for me when i was asked by a client "What shots do you take to cover the day"......
    I was shooting film at the time........so I made a list...but I stressed to each client that saw it that
    "I do not follow it to the tee......as each wedding and situation is different" .........as Jeff said trying to follow a list
    consumes time and is stressful as heck..........

Things to remember are shots mentioned by bride or groom:
    Those are the ones NOT to miss..................

Art, I love your response! Having a list and using it as a loose, general guideline sounds like the best way to go on almost any event shoot.

And putting the shots specifically requested by the clients at the top of the "must not miss" list is also the first, last, and most important thing on any paid shoot.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Agree with most of what has already been said.
    A short list is good when just starting out. But never let your client see you looking at it!!!!!!!
    After you have shot a couple weddings you will find it is much better to go with the flow.

By the way I have never received a must have list of formals from a client.
    I tell them "do you want to take the time to go down a list of photos, or do you want to get to the party and have some fun"
    The answer is always the same.