Options

Venue for my 1st wedding shoot...tiny

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Weddings
Met the groom at last and saw the home for the reception! It is a very small bungalow in an old historical neighborhood, very dark and a bachelor's pad so nothing fancy. Most of the festivities will be in the small backyard, which is quite nice but temps will be in the 100's at 5PM here in AZ. Guest count at about 50.

I am planning on using my 50 1.4mm and my brand new 24-70mm and sb 800 on my nikon d 700 for indoor shots with the dark, dark red/brown walls. Family from England may stay indoors to escape the heat. The kitchen area of the livingroom/dining area has a vintage black and white floor and a really old look which could be fun. And on the patio is a cool red rounded booth for fun dining, that will be fun and a pool table in a far back corner.
The bride mainly wants candids, she is very low key and easy to work with.

One month to go, I am so excited for the opportunity. The wedding location is in a small multipurpose room at a church, but later we may have access to the main area where the stained glass windows are very beautiful.

Please feel free to offer any tips and advice !
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    pinkymalingpinkymaling Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    No tips here girl. Sounds like you have been doing your homework. Great job preparing and you will surely do a bang up job. I have a brother in AZ and have visited there so even if they say " its a dry heat"....it still really sweltering. Hope the day cools off a little more for you.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    No tips here girl. Sounds like you have been doing your homework. Great job preparing and you will surely do a bang up job. I have a brother in AZ and have visited there so even if they say " its a dry heat"....it still really sweltering. Hope the day cools off a little more for you.

thumb.gif You can do it...I've seen your work...nice. They will be pleased. And, You will love your Nikor 24-70mm. I've kept mine on one of my D300's since the day that I got them. It's a truely fabulous lens. Sharp end to end.

I have one suggestion...if you haven't, try turning on your active-d lighting...set it to normal...it will help keep you from blowing out the white wedding dress outside. I leave the Active-d lighting on on my D300 all the time. Since you have time, test it out and see it you think it will help you.

Ken Rockwell explains it on his websigte, here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm

Moving up to an FX body this year. Waiting for the new Nikon stuff to come out later this year.

If you're going to be in a small dark room...like at the cottage...try shooting the light over your shoulder and off a corner wall, or side wall for effect. Bouncing out of corners or off walls can give you some really neat lighting. And, with the lenses and camera combo that you have, you are ready to make it happen.

Good luck...not that you'll need it.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    You do really nice work and I'm sure you'll do just great! Ed911 is correct. The active-d lighting set to normal is wonderful! clap.gif Standard setup on my D3 & D300.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thank you for your votes of confidence. Yes Pinky it is a dry heat just like my oven, Laughing.gif. I am working on losing a few pounds and working out to help me combat all the physical stress.
    Ed911 and SoCalAl thanks for that tip!! Had no clue about it even though I do frequent Ken Rockwell's site , just can't absorb it all . I checked my camera and it was OFF, I changed that right away. Great tip, I appreciate it a lot!!
    And the light bouncing advice is great, you made it sound like they could be really fun shots, I am not dreading those as much now!!
    I love this place.
    Thanks everyone!!bowdown.gifbow
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700