Sabino Canyon

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited June 30, 2010 in Landscapes
Full moon last night.

914927905_gqwtk-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    55 views and 0 comments. Hmm, must be really bad. Tell me how to make it bettereek7.gif

Thanks.:D
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    55 views and 0 comments. Hmm, must be really bad. Tell me how to make it bettereek7.gif

Thanks.:D

Hey Dan,

I'd say it's certainly not bad, just not amazing. It's cool in that it's a "daylight" shot at night, but aside from that, I'm just not too drawn in. The subject seems to be kinda the sky, kinda the road, kinda the rocks, but nothing for sure. For some reason I keep wanting to see further to the right. I think I would have either tried to compose it so that the road was further to the left, or maybe even tried a pano with a couple of shots stitched together, though I'm not sure how that would have worked at night.

All in all, a cool shot, just not a whole lot to comment on.

My $.02 thumb.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    That looks great Dan. I like the fact that I can see the foreground clearly. It really adds to the mood of the landscape. :D

Cheers,
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    It's a nice shot Dan but I find the very sharp edge between the top of the hills and the sky quite distracting. Imho it appears too sharp and somewhat unnatural as if it has been over processed. Having never shot this type of landscape I have no idea the effect on how scenery looks so grab the salt shaker and apply liberally to these comments.:D
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    I agree that the image looks unnatural. The skyline is so stark it looks like a composite. Also wonder if the WB did some odd things in the moonlight ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Yeah, have to agree with the others. The photo is nice but not stellar. It's sort of halfway between a cool star-trails photo and a dusk/sunset shot but doesn't quite reach either. Foreground interest always helps landscape shots or maybe a longer exposure to really burn the stars in the sky?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Personally - I like this; it has a mysterious element to it. But - like the others said, that line between the mountain and sky looks very distracting.
    edited June 28, 2010
    Thanks. Very helpful.

When I first posted this, I thought is was pretty good. A day later, it looks not so good rolleyes1.gif All of your comments are right on the mark. Thanks thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 28, 2010
    I love it just the way it is, Dan. iloveyou.gif The warm glow is awesome. Taken shortly after dusk, I'm assuming.

Also, I don't get the comments about the sharp edge between the mountains and the sky. I'm assuming that's how it looks in real life. Would folks be happier if it was blurry? headscratch.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    I love it just the way it is, Dan. iloveyou.gif The warm glow is awesome. Taken shortly after dusk, I'm assuming.

Also, I don't get the comments about the sharp edge between the mountains and the sky. I'm assuming that's how it looks in real life. Would folks be happier if it was blurry? headscratch.gif

Well, if I showed you most of the images that come off my cards, Joel, you'd see that I definitely prefer blurry! rolleyes1.gif

Dan, I like the mood of the shot, and I'm jealous that you got out during the full moon, we had total cloud cover for miles around the last 4 or 5 nights!

Like Joel said, the warm glow is awesome! I'm just not sure it's enough of a subject for the image. Maybe a vertical shot from the middle of the road would work better...? Any shots like that from the night?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 29, 2010
    kdog wrote: »

I think they see the dark thin line above the mountains. I polarized the image in PP with a filter and then erased it on the mountains leaving a sharp edge that is not natural. Thanks for your positive comments Joel.
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Well, if I showed you most of the images that come off my cards, Joel, you'd see that I definitely prefer blurry! rolleyes1.gif

Dan, I like the mood of the shot, and I'm jealous that you got out during the full moon, we had total cloud cover for miles around the last 4 or 5 nights!

Like Joel said, the warm glow is awesome! I'm just not sure it's enough of a subject for the image. Maybe a vertical shot from the middle of the road would work better...? Any shots like that from the night?

Thanks you Chris.:D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    I think it is a cool image.
    maybe it shoulda been HDR'ed??
    or maybe a big ol' rattler warming
    himself on the blacktop.......

looks good to me..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Dan,

What struck me right away was the uniformity of the lighting from the foreground to the mountains. It didn't seem quite natural. Maybe apply an exposure gradient from foreground back to generate some depth. That would make the foreground a little brighter and bring some depth/mystery into the mountains. To get rid of the line at the mountains you can apply a gradient mask. Brightest at the top darkest at the bottom in the vicinity of the mountain peaks. That may significantly reduce the blending artifacts.