Eating Chicken

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited June 28, 2010 in Holy Macro
Our cat has managed to get himself a cut over his eye, and my daughter being just eleven years old has taken it upon herself to make life easy for him.

This includes putting food anywhere near to him whenever she sees fit, wherever he is. That includes in the back garden, whereupon today she put some scraps of chicken on the flagged path. The cat being what he is at the moment, i.e. feeling a bit sorry for himself, duly eats the offerings, almost entirely. Except for four small pieces, which he decided to leave.

Cue an hour later, and nature takes over, which I noticed as I was watching a leaf-cutter bee find a way into the shed roof under the corner of the green roof-covering thingy (so it looks like we have a bee hive under construction) when a movement low down caught me eye, and there buzzing around the bits of chicken was a wasp.

This wasp stayed a couple of minutes - landing often on some of the food, and then it was away. But a few minutes later it was back, and doing the same again. Cue fetch the camera!

I had to get down really low, so the bean bag came with the camera & ringflash, and the result of me watching and photographing is what I have posted below this story.

What amazed me as I was watching all this from just a few inches away, was that the wasp wasn't eating, but tearing pieces of meat of the chicken scraps and taking it away.

Focus was awkward, and so I did the best I could.

C&C as always.

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Lens: 105mm
Image Date: 2010-06-27 20:14:10 +0000
Focal Length: 105mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix