Bar Mitzvah

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 28, 2010 in People
Dear friends of ours are leaving town after 10 years. We're very sad about this, of course! The mom asked me a few months ago, did I know any good photographers who would shoot her eldest son's Bar Mitzvah? Of course I said I'd do it as a gift to them :D

915099677_qxR9M-L.jpg

You'll see a bit later that the Temple posed a bit of a challenge - extremely back-lit, and of course warm-toned wood paneling everywhere. I used Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 580 EX II, paired with my Canon 50mm f/1.2 for most of the formal shots.

915102574_ciVW5-L.jpg

915113844_oLjCv-XL.jpg

During the service, I was only able to shoot from the rear of the Temple, and of course no flash. So, I popped on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, and cranked my ISO to 6400 and shot hand-held. Here's the look of the venue:

915155868_r88GV-L.jpg

I used LR3 to cull 1500+ shots down to 402, using the 'pick' feature, then I applied global adjustments to all similar files, and then used the awesomness of LR3's adjustment brushes to bring back some detail in the windows, to raise exposure in places where needed, and to handle oversaturation in some spots. What an great tool, totally a time saver!

915161763_USuqT-L.jpg

I would've liked to be up front and closer. But we make do. I played a slideshow of these photos for the Mom & Dad today, and she wept. Job Done!

915160275_kC4JC-L.jpg

915166577_WMVby-L.jpg

These are some of 400+ shots I gave the family - they're just proofs, I fully intend to improve them more when they order their prints :deal

Enjoy (doing a mitzvah for your friends) photography,

Comments

• gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    great job andy! and 6400 iso? i can't even tell!
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Nice job Andy!thumb.gif

Im not bowled over by the first three, but am rather drawn to the last three with the backlight. Nice middle ground on the white balance in those!thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 27, 2010
    Manually metered?

I think they're nice and I like the interior shots. Nice location!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Manually metered?

I think they're nice and I like the interior shots. Nice location!

Well, I shot in Av mode, but manually dealt with how much flash I wanted to use. Thanks, Ian! The 70-200 shots were manually metered.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    A beautiful temple, but the lighting and the architecture there is making me weak in the knees. Between the giant wall of backlighting and the glass doors on the front of the ark, you really had your work cut out for you. Had you been there before? The last three are great.
    edited June 27, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    A beautiful temple, but the lighting and the architecture there is making me weak in the knees. Between the giant wall of backlighting and the glass doors on the front of the ark, you really had your work cut out for you. Had you been there before? The last three are great.
    Hey, Mitchell! I did two things before this shoot: checked out your shots, and also went to the Temple to scout it out thumb.gif It was very challenging. I sacrificed the highlights from the giant wall of white glass on many shots and then used the adjustment brush in LR3 to bring 'em back.

It was very challenging and very fun.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    +1 on the last 3!!! clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited June 27, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    +1 on the last 3!!! clap.gif

Thanks - I agree :) There's only 15 minutes with the Ark and scrolls, before the service. Not much time to do a mess of formal poses with the main family, in-laws, out-laws, cousins, etc etc, so I had to just get 'em up and shoot shoot shoot. But the Mom likes them so that's what counts :)
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Dear friends of ours are leaving town after 10 years. We're very sad about this, of course! The mom asked me a few months ago, did I know any good photographers who would shoot her eldest son's Bar Mitzvah? Of course I said I'd do it as a gift to them :D

What a wonderful gift. They will cherish these for years to come.

Might I suggest that in your further post-processing that you consider some subtle vignetting. Two tools that I think are terrific and easy for this are the Nik Color Efex Darken/Lighten center; you can control if the edges get darker or lighter or stay the same and if center gets darker/lighter or stays the same as well as the size and placement of the center and the burning set in Pixelgenius Photokit (not Photokit Sharpener; that's different). It allows you to darken 4 corners, just the top corners, just the bottom corners, same with the edges, top and bottom or sides. You can adjust opacity although the default is usually just fine. What I like about both of these is that when someone looks at the finished image, they don't say, oh, he did some vignetting.

I have no doubt that the finished images will be stunning as is all of your work.

Regards,
    Cynthia
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    A wonderful thoughtful gift that will live on for generations.

Sam
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Amazing shots and compensating for the glass wall is pretty amazing. I am really starting to think about going up to LR3 from this story.

Also an amazingly nice gesture to do. Reminds me of doing wedding pics for a few friends. Best thing is that while we might not like the images at times cause we have critical eyes, it puts smile on people's faces that we do these mitzvahs.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact