fungus & the 6 lenses...by gus

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited March 23, 2007 in Technique

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just how much risk are my L lenses re humidity ?

Our summer here is stupidly humid & closing fast...days on end over 90% humidity & stinking hot. I dont really store my lenses as they are always in use every few days but sit in a dark cupboard when im not using them.

Or are L fungus proof being that they are better made ? Im not too concerned about the other lenses.

Gus
    There are little sachets of silica that you can get. Put them in the cupboard with the lens and in the crumpler bag. afaik they take moisture out of the air, no guarantees but it should stop the humidity affecting the lens.

Shay.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    There are little sachets of silica that you can get. Put them in the cupboard with the lens and in the crumpler bag. afaik they take moisture out of the air, no guarantees but it should stop the humidity affecting the lens.

Shay.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 22, 2005
    Is your dwelling air-conditioned?? If it is. I would not worry 'gus.

BUT if it is not, I would purchase a dehumidifier where I stored my lenses. I have a dehumidifier in my barn where I store machinery and bikes to help prevent rust, and it really does help.

Chronic heat and high humidity are to two points that contribute to fungal growth - and even L glass is not totally immune I would bet. A few cents worth of electricity will dehumidify a room easily.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Place is air-cond mate but im out sometines for 10 hours a day. Wonder what the dehumidifier will do to the cat ? now theres a thought.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 27, 2005
    I left my 50 f/1.4 outside one humid night...
    ...and this is what it looked like in the morning when I went outside to retrieve it.
    lensfungus.jpg

EDIT: The above photo is a fake. Just a joke, folks. I did not turn a 1.4 into a perti dish, and no lens was harmed in the PS'ing of this photo.

Keep your lenses capped, and in pouches with silica gel in a cool dry place. L lenses are no more fungus proofed than a piece of turkey meat left out on the table all day.

Humungus wrote:
    Just how much risk are my L lenses re humidity ?

Our summer here is stupidly humid & closing fast...days on end over 90% humidity & stinking hot. I dont really store my lenses as they are always in use every few days but sit in a dark cupboard when im not using them.

Or are L fungus proof being that they are better made ? Im not too concerned about the other lenses.

Gus
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    I don't have the exact specs, but if you can break either the temperature or humidity for a few hours a day, you can prevent the fungus from being able to grow. So store them in an air tight box with a rechargeable dehumidifier in there overnight and you should be good to go for a long time.

Semi-Specifics can be read here (almost 1/4 down):
    http://www.cinematechnic.com/services/zeiss_lens_service.html

Rechargable dehumidifier here:
    http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=14161
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Gus, don't rely too much on silica gel, especially the sachets. If you're going to use silica gel, get industrial quality which has blue colored chips. These turn pink once they're saturated and can be regenerated by heating them in an oven. Pet shops are now selling silica gel as cat litter (but of course you won't let your cat share the box with your lenses :D)
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Gus, don't rely too much on silica gel, especially the sachets. If you're going to use silica gel, get industrial quality which has blue colored chips. These turn pink once they're saturated and can be regenerated by heating them in an oven. Pet shops are now selling silica gel as cat litter (but of course you won't let your cat share the box with your lenses :D)
  • Options
    dwvr_photographydwvr_photography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2005
    sunbake
    i herd that giving ur lenses a bit of time on a sun bed can kill fungus! takem to a gym that has sunbeds, and giv em some rays!, i think its the uv tubes used in the beds so u may be able to buy a uv lamp also. its worth a try...
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    It's not necessarily what happens during the day that counts, it's what happens while you are asleep. If you can break the environment even for a few hours, you can prevent the growth. So if you can get the lenses into a dry environment at night, you may not have anything to worry about.

I have even heard just putting the lenses in a kitchen cabinet with a small wattage light bulb will change the temp/humidity enough to break the growth cycle.
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks shay...in all honesty, they lay all over the lounge. No really they do..i have them out & all on at least twice a day.

I think im stuffed :uhoh
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I'm just pulling this up because I learned something today that I would have hated to learn the hard way on my new equipment.
    I went to B&H PhotoVideo today to sell a Nikon F4 camera wth a SB-24 flash, DW-20 waist viewfinder, 35-135 Nikon Lens and Vivitar 70-210mm lens that I inherited when my grandfather died. B & H took everything but the lenses because the lenses had fungus on them? I proceeded to look at the lenses and sure enough. I had never heard of this before. headscratch.gifeek7.gif :cry
    Thoroughly stunned, I'm glad I now know lenses are like petri dishes, and I'm glad I came home and found this thread because I don't want this to happen to any of my new equipment especially my 70-200L. deal.gif
    I'm sure there are plenty new dSLR users on this forum that should see this thread.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com