edited July 5, 2010 in Street and Documentary
In the Metro station:

912883263_4d2ww-XL.jpg

C&C encouraged.

Comments

• Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    I really like this shot. The composition works really well with the signage and figure acting as punctuation marks to the strong parallel lines which take your eye from side to side.

Nice work.clap.gif
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Conceptually, I like it. I'd do a slight crop from the lower right until the open area on the right and the rail-bed are removed.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    I commented on this yesterday but must have goofed somehow cause my comment sure isn't showing now.

Richard, I really like this photo - as is. For me, the contemplative man makes it.

Still, even with the man in it, it is what I think of as an architectural photo - one that is about more about the space, lines, angles, etc. than about the solitary man lost in a sterile environment. If you were to crop it, that could change. In that sense, I agree with Jen. But it goes without saying that, in the end, it's your picture and your choice.

Can't wait to see Atoche Part II!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Atoche Part II!

Virginia

Me Too :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 30, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I took several different shots of this scene and this was the one I liked best. Cropping as Jenn suggested does simplify the image, but I think that showing that the entrance to the platform (that's what it is) is empty adds to the feeling of aloneness. At least, that's what I was going for, ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    In the Metro station:

912883263_4d2ww-XL.jpg

C&C encouraged.

VERY nice Richard - The composition, the mood, the color. Really nice. I would not crop it, because in doing so you will lose some of those elements.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    VERY nice Richard - The composition, the mood, the color. Really nice. I would not crop it, because in doing so you will lose some of those elements.

Thanks, BD. I only like cropping other people's shots. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 30, 2010
    I like this image too, the lines, the space, but particularly the colors.

I think this photo would have a different flavor in B&W. I like the complementary red/green and blue contrasts here, Richard.

I think if the person had a different color shirt the image would not be quite as strong.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I think if the person had a different color shirt the image would not be quite as strong.
    Thanks, Jim. I agree--the colors worked well together in this one. I did a B&W of this framed a little differently. It was an OK image, but I thought this worked better.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    In the Metro station: ... C&C encouraged.
    Nice and clean - has real impact! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
    Nice and clean - has real impact! thumb.gif
    Thanks, Ross. Glad you liked it.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    The graphic elements really make this, along with the lone man. I like the repetition of horizontal lines above and below and agree that showing the empty entrance adds to the solitude of this man. The soft colours add to the meditative feeling for me. Great shot Richard.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Like the feel of this one. It does feel a slight bit disorienting -- likely the camera is angled forward on the left or right side. If so, not sure if that adds or subtracts from it.

Nice job!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 2, 2010
    Richard

I've looked at this image several times before offering up comment. I've avoided reading other responses so to give a clean review devoid of other influences eek7.gif

I really like this shot. I initially imagined it in BW but actually love the colors - even in their subtlety they are strong markers for the image. I love the negative space but honestly think there is so much that it diminishes the main subject - the seated man. I would zoom in but not so much that he and the bench consume more than 50% of the composition.

But great catch none-the-less thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. thumb.gif

The more I think about it, the more I realize I was really lucky with this shot. In one sense it's just a guy sitting on a bench in a subway station, but it would take a long time to get all the conditions to come together again--empty platform, the guy sitting in the right position on the bench, complementary colors, no ads or graffiti in the frame. Tighter crops do work, but IMO they aren't an improvement.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Have to say Richard, works like this make me wonder a thing or 3.
    I have seen stills in fast frame and they all seem to count but one on
    its own makes me wonder of total impact in itself. Likes its not enough.
    That said I know things on the many come into play but still why should
    this one count for impact. I am starting to feel like I don't get it for art or
    anything else. Seriously bugging me. I will even trust to say that out loud.
    At least this once. If I can't fix it in then I guess I will simply not be able
    to work it in. That is a serious photographic fix for me. Feel clueless. But
    looking to see.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Have to say Richard, works like this make me wonder a thing or 3.
    I have seen stills in fast frame and they all seem to count but one on
    its own makes me wonder of total impact in itself. Likes its not enough.
    That said I know things on the many come into play but still why should
    this one count for impact. I am starting to feel like I don't get it for art or
    anything else. Seriously bugging me. I will even trust to say that out loud.
    At least this once. If I can't fix it in then I guess I will simply not be able
    to work it in. That is a serious photographic fix for me. Feel clueless. But
    looking to see.

Michael,

If it doesn't grab you, then it doesn't. Tastes vary: it's really as simple as that. Don't worry about it--there's no quiz at the end of the class. mwink.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. thumb.gif

The more I think about it, the more I realize I was really lucky with this shot. In one sense it's just a guy sitting on a bench in a subway station, but it would take a long time to get all the conditions to come together again--empty platform, the guy sitting in the right position on the bench, complementary colors, no ads or graffiti in the frame. Tighter crops do work, but IMO they aren't an improvement.

I don't think I was really recommending a tighter crop, rather a slight crop to emphasise some of the stronger thematic elements. An alternative view would be to have shot with more of the portal on the right, but it might have placed the man closer to centre which also wouldn't have helped. But for some reason it doesn't play in the image for me, thus the comment that it's an almost. Still nice though. mwink.gif