Resizing images in LR for web view

eKateeKate Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 29, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm looking for suggestions on how to alter some original files for web viewing. They are not going on my website, but the website and emails of a youth sports league. I don't want to make them too small or too reduced in quality to the point that they don't look good, but I also don't want people to be able to copy and print them well enough that they don't have to purchase.

I'm not sure exactly what dimensions they are going to be using.

So, in LR, do I decrease the quality and limit the file size, or change the image sizing and resolution, or both? Does quality affect how the pixels appear rather than the number?

So confused :huh

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    All this can be done within the web module if you wish. Or you can export them to a fixed size. As to the size, it depends of course. Some of us are working on 30” but of course, a gallery would not be that large (in my case, 2560x1600) but maybe half that would be nice if you don’t mind larger file uploads. Smaller displays will scale accordingly.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • eKateeKate Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2010
    Web module?
    I have never used the web module. I'm trying to figure it out - it looks like this is for displaying the photos, but I need to be able to send individual photos to the league, so that they can display them however they choose.

You're saying the web module will allow me to export individual photo files?

Sorry that I'm slow :(
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    eKate wrote: »
    I have never used the web module. I'm trying to figure it out - it looks like this is for displaying the photos, but I need to be able to send individual photos to the league, so that they can display them however they choose. You're saying the web module will allow me to export individual photo files?

It is for displaying lots of photo’s by building a web galley that you could upload anywhere. Only those with the URL you supply could view this gallery. But it will build and upload a lot of stuff you may not need (all the files to drive that web gallery). If you only want to deal with a few images, without making such a gallery, best to build a custom Export preset. Set size, color space to sRGB, JPEG etc. Select the images and the preset, boom, you’ve got a folder of images processed as defined in that export preset. HOW you now end up showing that on the web is out of Lightroom, you’ll have to deal with this process on your own (hence the suggestion about a web gallery).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/