Options

>>> vote for challenge 16 theme <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 18, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
please vote for challenge 16 theme. this poll will be open until june 27th.

Please choose the theme for challenge 16 25 votes

wide angle
24% 6 votes
the quality of light
36% 9 votes
big & small
12% 3 votes
lunch
4% 1 vote
people at work
24% 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Thanks...
    andy wrote:
    please vote for challenge 16 theme. this poll will be open until june 27th.
    Andy...
    Have I said Thank You lately?
    If not...
    THANK YOU...
    For your effort and hard work.
    Attention to detail.
    Patience.
    Sharing your knowledge.
    Giving of your personal time.
    And...
    Posting this poll early.

Kudos...
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 17, 2004
    quality of light, eh? Not quite sure what to make of that... I reckon that's another topic that will leave the door WIDE open, no?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    quality of light, eh? Not quite sure what to make of that... I reckon that's another topic that will leave the door WIDE open, no?
    Have a look here :D
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Have a look here :D
    that clears up the idea, but to me (this isn't a comment on the topic) leaves the contest with almost no boundaries. I would hate to be Andy if that ends up winning, what criteria would he use? And more importantly, what criteria would he use in defense when Humungus comes after him with a bowie knife cause the winner had too much reflection, or this or that, rather than just pure "quality of light"???
    :D
    Erik

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    Examples of Quality of Light.
    Pink
    DoctorIt wrote:
    that clears up the idea, but to me (this isn't a comment on the topic) leaves the contest with almost no boundaries. I would hate to be Andy if that ends up winning, what criteria would he use? And more importantly, what criteria would he use in defense when Humungus comes after him with a bowie knife cause the winner had too much reflection, or this or that, rather than just pure "quality of light"???
    :D
    Erik:
    You can almost feel the "Quailty of Light" within an image...
    Here are two quick examples.
    The first phot0 was taken at sunrise, with the sun rising behind me as I faced the light cast onto our front yard.
    The second is the same area, only zoomed in, Same day, taken mid-morning.
    (Actually took these to sort of use as an example...)

This is only one way to "read" the definition... of course I am sure everyone will come up with many more, we seem to be a fairly "creative group."
    Hope this helped....
    You lucky guy in Insbrook!
    ginette

5243597-L.jpg

5243633-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Pink Erik:
    You can almost feel the "Quailty of Light" within an image...
    Here are two quick examples.
    The first phot0 was taken at sunrise, with the sun rising behind me as I faced the light cast onto our front yard.
    The second is the same area, only zoomed in, Same day, taken mid-morning.
    (Actually took these to sort of use as an example...)

This is only one way to "read" the definition... of course I am sure everyone will come up with many more, we seem to be a fairly "creative group."
    Hope this helped....
    You lucky guy in Insbrook!
    ginette

Good example. I guess I just saw that as good photographic technique - using the best light of the day. I think we all know light is much more dramatic at sunrise or sunset. But maybe thats what the topic is about...

I have a plane to catch in a few hours, so no more killing time! Its time to go - photos of dramatic alpine switchbacks here I come!!! :D
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I have a plane to catch in a few hours, so no more killing time! Its time to go - photos of dramatic alpine switchbacks here I come!!! :D

Outstanding! Have a great time!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    re voting
    I don't like any of the categories. What, prey (hope that is the correct word) would be considered wide angle?

I have the dRebel kit lens, it is my widest lens, and I understand that wide angle lenses for digital cost an arm, a leg, etc. If they exist. Also Andy is doing that thread on dpreview. I think I will vote for that, if my kit lens is considered wide enough. The kit lens is 18 to 55 mm, and it must be allowed for the fact that that does not mean the same thing in digital as it does in film. In digital, it is about 1 1/2 times the film thing.
    I also don't know anything about f stops on these cameras. I am so not technical. I just know that I did buy a 50 mm Canon, cheap, with like a 1.8 f stop thing, as everyone said I should. I use the kit lens more, just like zoom.
    So, Andy, would you please define what you mean by wide angle. Thanks, ginger (The reason I would go with the wide angle is that I could read all the dPreview comments, maybe find out something)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    wide angle
    hehe i snuck that one in, becuase i just won a challenge over at the stf .. and so now i'm hosting the next challenge there, and i chose "wide angle"

you can read all about it here

[/QUOTE]

Both the submissions and rhe demo galleries have terrific shots in them. Thanks for those links. Humbling. I don't visit the dpreview forums often because the board format is not user friendly. Could you guide us to your winning submission? Is the gallery still up? Thanks.