PS help with an effect, please!

kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited June 29, 2010 in Finishing School
I am new to photoshop and have CS5. I have a shot that I'd like to pp in a way that I have seen others do for still life, floral, etc. It looks like almost like a very old painting when done. Has texture to it, cracks that look like marble or wood cracks, has a very old feel. But I can't find anything on CS5 that seems to do that!

Can anyone help, please? :dunno

I've tried the Texture options under Filter, as I thought the craqueluer may be it, but if it is, I can't get the look at all that I have seen and liked - the craqueluer seems to give measured, graph-paper like cracks for texture, not the old painting look I have seen and want. Looked at the other options also and can't find it. Help!

Thanks!

Kara

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited June 28, 2010
    If you could provide a link to a photographic sample of the effect you are looking for, that would help to identify the technique(s) involved.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If you could provide a link to a photographic sample of the effect you are looking for, that would help to identify the technique(s) involved.

Yes, I know it would and I know I have seen some on dgrin use it as well as elsewhere, but I have no idea where I saw it. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking. :(

I was hoping someone would be able to help based on the description.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    I think you may looking at a grunge effect. Try a Google search for this and see if this is the effect your looking for.

There isn't a one button solution for this effect.

Sam
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Look under filters.....there are artistic filters that give the cracked look.....i believe that what you are looking for will be found under the heading of texture inside the filters dropdown......that is where it is in PSCS and PSCS4.............

I know this is not the exact effect but this is just to show where it might be:
    916831065_ngYjb-L.jpg
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 28, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Look under filters.....there are artistic filters that give the cracked look.....i believe that what you are looking for will be found under the heading of texture inside the filters dropdown......that is where it is in PSCS and PSCS4.............

I know this is not the exact effect but this is just to show where it might be:
    916831065_ngYjb-L.jpg

Hi thanks, that is what was frustrating me. That is where I looked and can't find anything similar. I did find someone who has images like this on betterphoto but I can't find a way to link the image without having everyone have access to my betterphoto account and I can't find a way to paste the image here, either. Not even sure if you can see people's galleries there if you don't have an account. At any rate, Kelly Cavanaugh on betterphoto has used that effect that in quite a few of her images. I have contacted her, but no answer so far. I'll google the grunge thing to see if that is it.

I am not expecting a one button answer, but a starting point.

Thanks!
    edited June 28, 2010
    edited June 28, 2010
    ziggy53
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif

Looking at Kelly's images of flowers (I'm a member of BP as well) I do believe she is using the texture overlay technique Ziggy links above. Or some derivative of that. Pretty common technique in that you overlay the texture image in a layer and then adjust to taste, color, etc. One technique that I have used with texture overlay layer is to desat the image and you are left with the structure only, no real color on that layer. It will use the colors of the image below in the layers pallette.

There are many techniques for this on the web and playing with different settings can really be fun and creative.
    edited June 29, 2010
    HarlanBear wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Looking at Kelly's images of flowers (I'm a member of BP as well) I do believe she is using the texture overlay technique Ziggy links above. Or some derivative of that. Pretty common technique in that you overlay the texture image in a layer and then adjust to taste, color, etc. One technique that I have used with texture overlay layer is to desat the image and you are left with the structure only, no real color on that layer. It will use the colors of the image below in the layers pallette.

There are many techniques for this on the web and playing with different settings can really be fun and creative.

Thank you, Ziggy and Harlan! I will definitely ck. out Ziggy's link. In the meantime, Kelly said that she uses Topaz Adjust (PS plug in) for a lot of her pp, so I downloaded a free 30 day trial version. So far I like it. And then she and another BP person both said that for the parchment paper look (what I finally figured out was what I was calling the 'old oil painting effect' or something), and for other of their kind of similar images, they take photos of a piece of parchment, or their slate patio or other textures and then use those images as a layer which they adjust for opacity to be able to see the image through their texture layer.

I guess I thought there would already exist a 'premade' texture like that - the old, cracked, worn, tears in it, parchment paper feel.

I did ck out the grunge and that is kind of it and could probably be tweaked to what I want but I am feeling right now as if I would like the tears/cracks in it, not just the grunge grain. I will definitely try the grunge out in the future. Kelly's (kelly cavanaugh, BP) castle does look kind of like that grunge look and I do really like it.

So far, I am still experimenting with Topaz Adjust, but I am really hankering for that parchment texture overlay. I don't have any parchment that I could take a shot of, so still thinking about this.

THANK YOU ALL! iloveyou.gif

Kara
    edited June 29, 2010

Ziggy, you rock. clap.gif I just saw the high res textures on deviant art. THANK YOU! bowdown.gif
    edited June 29, 2010
    Sheesh, Ziggy! THAT is what I was looking for! The stuff on your link (deviant art textures) is IT! Wow. Thank you, thank you, thank you. iloveyou.gif
    edited June 29, 2010
    I'm glad it's what you wanted.
    ziggy53