Two incredible B&W photographers...

Alaskan RoverAlaskan Rover Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited June 28, 2010 in People
Besides Margaret Bourke-White, two of my favorite B&W photogaphers are Kosti Ruohomma and Sebastiao Salgado. I am sure many of you are quite familiar with Salgado's arresting black and whites...but how many of you have heard of an INCREDIBLY gifted B&W photographer who died in 1961, Kosti Ruohomma?

Kosti is one of those photographer's who is able to "see" his subject on film before he even takes the photo. He didn't just take photos...he extruded them through LOTS of study and preparation and hard work in the style of Ansel Adams. He was a perfectionist of light and dark...and knew that the shadows sometimes spoke more than the object or person itself. His "people" photos in his book "Night Train at Wiscasset Station" are like a combination of Norman Rockwell meets Andrew Wyeth meets Margeret Bourke-White. He knew how to capture the essence of rural Maine in a way that few others did. While he wasn't beyond setting up a 'posed' shot...ALL his photos had heart and soul. Like a good blues song.

But what I can't understand, is why is there almost NOTHING about him on the web. Google rarely lets me down...but it certainly let me down with Kosti. And Wikipedia doesn't even know he ever LIVED! What's going on here? I used to have a much-loved, dog-earred copy of Night Train to Wiscasset Station...but lost it somewhere. So I go and try to look up my favorite Kosti photos...and NOTHING.

Is anyone else here familiar with Kosti Ruohomma? Where are his pictures?
I would sure like to find some again.

As to Sebastiao Salgado...well, his incredible black & whites are in the press with some regularity, so many of you may already know his black & white work.

Salgado is truly a master at his craft! Here are just a few of his creations: (Note: I could not find copyright info on these particular photos from the internet.)

18_sebastiao_salgado-1_thumb.png

salgado11.jpg

salgado5.jpg

link_220_580.jpg