Options

In The Studio

OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
edited June 30, 2010 in People
A studio shot with my new Pocket Wizards and SB800's. D300, 85 f1.4, 1/200 @ f3.2, ISO 160, manual WB.
Main light camera left 45 degrees and up, @ 1/8 power. Fill light camera right 45 degrees and face level, @ 1/32 power. Both reflected in umbrellas.

A little touch-up in Portraiture.

Please critique. :bow

917015339_MhhEL-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    This looks very underexposed to me.

I'm just getting started with the studio lighting, but I think you might want your fill a little closer to the camera axis. However, given my novice status, I'd defer to the gurus on that one.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 29, 2010
    his looks very underexposed to me.

I'm just getting started with the studio lighting, but I think you might want your fill a little closer to the camera axis. However, given my novice status, I'd defer to the gurus on that one.

Agree! More Light please!
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    I'm with Andrew on this one - not a lot of experience with studio lights but this is definitely underexposed. Did you use a light meter to check the strobes or did you guy by the preview on the LCD?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    This looks very underexposed to me.

tomnovy wrote: »
    Agree! More Light please!
    Mike J wrote: »
    I'm with Andrew on this one - not a lot of experience with studio lights but this is definitely underexposed. Did you use a light meter to check the strobes or did you guy by the preview on the LCD?

And... We have a consensus:D Underexposed is the winnermwink.gif

Thanks for your comments and I will be aware on the next shoot! Unfortunately, I can't get my subject back for a new session, So PS has been delegated as a stand-inclap.gif

1. Before
    917015339_MhhEL-L.jpg

2. After
    917910978_VcMAv-L.jpg
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    With a lady try to get her to cross her front leg over the back leg and throw the body weight to the far hinie cheek. Or place a small stool in front of the lady and have her place her front foot on the stool and shift her weight to the back cheek. This raises the front should and drops the back shoulder and gives the photo more impact. Looking at this photo the shoulders are level and stagnant.
    You have the main light coming in over her front shoulder which is perfect but her face needs to be turned more toward the light. Where the face is pointing makes her face broad lit and makes the face fatter.
  • Options
    renren Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I could be wrong, but with studio lighting, don't you want a little light coming behind the subject also, between her and the background? I would also like to see more of her right shoulder. Good job.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    With a lady try to get her to cross her front leg over the back leg and throw the body weight to the far hinie cheek. Or place a small stool in front of the lady and have her place her front foot on the stool and shift her weight to the back cheek. This raises the front should and drops the back shoulder and gives the photo more impact. Looking at this photo the shoulders are level and stagnant.
    You have the main light coming in over her front shoulder which is perfect but her face needs to be turned more toward the light. Where the face is pointing makes her face broad lit and makes the face fatter.

Thanks for your suggestions Charles which will be of help in future shots where I will have my subject standing. In this shoot, she was sitting in a chair. I should have turned the chair a little more to her left and definitely turned her face more to the light. :D
    ren wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but with studio lighting, don't you want a little light coming behind the subject also, between her and the background? I would also like to see more of her right shoulder. Good job.

Thanks Ren for your input. I didn't use a background light because I felt it would decrease the contrast between her head and the background.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    John, you might want to also try a higher camera angle. You won't be looking into the nostils and this helps to reduce the area that hangs down under the chin. She will like that.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    John, you might want to also try a higher camera angle. You won't be looking into the nostils and this helps to reduce the area that hangs down under the chin. She will like that.

Very good point Charles!bowdown.gif