Options

Rabbit Island 2005

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited August 23, 2005 in Landscapes
Hello everybody, I believe this might be my first time actually posting a photo on Dgrin! Well, photos, plural. Anyway, it's been an epic, unforgettable summer for me. Why? Among other trips, the highlight was definitely an all-expenses paid (save airfare) trip to "Rabbit Island", a tiny 600m +/- wide island in the Strait of Georgia. 50+ miles north of Vancouver / Nanaimo, Rabbit nestles between Texada and Lasquetti islands, right next to Jedediah Island. Most of you will have no idea where on earth this is, so let's just say it's in the Pacific Northwest, just about as "middle-of-nowhere" as you can possibly get. Henry Wheeler donated Rabbit Island to Orange Coast College in 2004, becuase OCC has renowned programs for boating, oceanography, marine science etc... The OCC photo department (also quite renowned) caught wind of Rabbit, and managed to secure a late June summer week for a dozen advanced students to develop a portfolio...

We were loaded up with more Fuji than we could possibly shoot in a week, our choice of everything from RVP 50 to ACROS. We checked out any and every camera we wanted. I had my N65 + 24-85mm Nikkor, my D70, and my brand new Sigma 150mm macro. I also tried out a Fuji 6x9, and others had Hassy's and Sinar 4x5's and Fuji 6x17's, (!!!) not to mention the Noblex 6x12 and pinhole cameras that were lent to us by Pro Photo Connection. Oh, and Canon DSLR's. wink.gif

To view the whole gallery of forty-some images, please click HERE.
To read an in-depth, more complete history and account of my exploits, click HERE.

Is there a limit to photos I can post per day? If so, please correct me... But here goes!

26271797-M-1.jpg
(The view from Rabbit Island's cove, facing East.)
- D70, 24-85mm AFS, (2 image stitch) Giottos+RRS.

26390387-M.jpg
(An un-identified insect on some very colorful moss)
- D70, Sigma 150mm macro, Giottos+RRS.

33182549-M.jpg
(Moonrise at sunset, Jedediah Island)
- D70, 80-400mm VR, Giottos+RRS.

30050856-M.jpg
(Alpenglow, Rabbit Island sunrise)
- N65, 24-85mm AFS, Velvia 50, Giottos+RSS.

30050857-M.jpg

(Magenta Foxgloves were very abundant on Rabbit)
- N65, 24-85mm AFS, Velvia 50, Giottos+RSS.

26715070-M.jpg

"Melting Moon"
-
D70, 24-85mm AFS, Giottos+RRS, Cokin 2 stop GND.

30050855-M.jpg

(As you can see, the terrain and subject matter varied incredibly. It was a dream...)
-
N65, 24-85mm AFS, Velvia 100F, Giottos+RSS

Do visit the gallery and see all forty-some photos, and read the rest of my story. I hope you enjoyed viewing! Comments here and in the gallery are very welcome,

-Matt-

[edited] to add some shooting info! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these photos came out of an N65 and a D70. Two cameras worth less than $900 combined... Anyone wanna start an F6 + D2x fund?
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Very nice - I particularly enjoyed your "history" pages!

And you might think it odd that I specifically choose this one . . . but I really like this shot!

32717256-M.jpg

and this one too (but I might have cropped just a little off the right hand)
    32717058-M.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    WOW!
    I agree! It's about time you posted.. Thnxs for sharing
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005

26390387-M.jpg
    (An un-identified insect on some very colorful moss)

-Matt-
    [/QUOTE]
    While i likes all your shots, this one is magnifcent. I think the composition, DOF, and color are perfect!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    I think everyone in this forum jsut got very jealous umph.gifOogle_anim.gifxxbah.gif.
    Those are great shots and a great story. Congratulations on being part of such an awsome experience. I get a smile on my face jsut going to the local forest preserve, I think my head would explode splat.gif if I went somewhere like that.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    the moonrise and the insect are AMAZING!
    beautiful photosclap.gif

so...when are you going to take the rest of us there?? (all expenses-paid of course!):D
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    These shots are awesome Matt! Looks like a great location. thumb.gif

Erich
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    burke wrote:
    the moonrise and the insect are AMAZING!
    beautiful photosclap.gif

so...when are you going to take the rest of us there?? (all expenses-paid of course!):D
    Believe me Burke, I'd love to let everyone experience this awesome location.

The best I can do for you, until I become rich and famous and remember all you friends, is to point you to Don Gale's workshop page.

http://www.photographybydon.com/workshops.html

If you click on the "Vancouver Island" trip, which is a mere $475, you can see that this trip is indeed held on Rabbit Island! For more information, click here:

http://www.orangecoastcollege.edu/about_occ/communityprog/Rabbit+Island+Adventure.htm

It's something I'd definitely be signing up for if I were not eligible for the free trip. at $475, it's an absolute steal...

Take care,
    -Matt-
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Hey everyone, I added some Exif to the original photos, and I'd add it to the replied quotes but I can't edit your posts lol... Ask if you're interested!

Thanks John, for enjoying the moving flower pic. Some would refuse to shoot if the flowers were moving but I decided to give it a go and see what it looked like. You never know until you try!

-Matt-