My Website...Bend The Light

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited July 11, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,

I have created this website to show some of my photos, and possibly sell a few. It's currently on a trial basis, but I would pay if I think it looks ok. I ahve images on there, and I have been able to input diffeent prices for different sized prints, and so on.

Would you have a look, and tell me what you think? I think that some of the elements are able to be altered, fonts and so on - slideshow of images on the front page if i want that...what do people think?

http://bendthelight.photium.com/

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Have you looked at SMUGMUG??
    For MUCH Less than $282 you could have a PRO SMUGMUG site ($149.95) and have pretty much full control of your site
    as far as customizing, pricing and so on, also UNLIMITED storage for all your photos.......I have a hidden gallery where all of my finished
    jpgs are stored, that is one of my image back ups.......I have 3 copies on hard drives.....but knowing that when my storage amount reaches
    100tb or more that my cost for the site will not go up is really nice to know.....at Photium you have a 2k limit if you have the pro site......
    I have unlimited storage, unlimited galleries and unlimited categories for those galleries to be placed in...................

.........sales would come thru Paypal from your current host with no commission...
    well if you set up to sell thru Paypal or Google then SM would collect no commission, SM is supposedly trying to get
    European lab and multi-currency figured out.....but until then just put in paypal buttons.................

nothing wrong with you site........but i got the feeling that Photium doesnot give you 100% freedom to customize any way you want
    Also they really limit you on number of images........

Here is an info link for you to compare: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/photo-sharing-sites-compared/

With a pro account I can upload I believe upto 24mb image files
    no limit to number of files perday, week month,
    Just no frickin limit..........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Hi,

I have created this website to show some of my photos, and possibly sell a few. It's currently on a trial basis, but I would pay if I think it looks ok. I ahve images on there, and I have been able to input diffeent prices for different sized prints, and so on.

Would you have a look, and tell me what you think? I think that some of the elements are able to be altered, fonts and so on - slideshow of images on the front page if i want that...what do people think?

http://bendthelight.photium.com/
    Hi I looked at your site and the layout is great!! easy to navigate and done very well, I would not change a thing with regards to the site. Now your photo's although good need to be organized a little better for my liking anyway- You have 3 or 4 teasel on page 1 and another one on page 4, the girl with the fan you have 3 in a row of different perspectives when I think you only need the one [and make it the 3rd one it is fantastic!!!] If you were to add a black and white or treated page you could stick all your copies there or don't use the same photo for all but take a different angle of the same species but not 4 of the same one. Hope this helps a little keep up the good work though all in all I liked it.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    deb22 wrote: »
    Hi I looked at your site and the layout is great!! easy to navigate and done very well, I would not change a thing with regards to the site. Now your photo's although good need to be organized a little better for my liking anyway- You have 3 or 4 teasel on page 1 and another one on page 4, the girl with the fan you have 3 in a row of different perspectives when I think you only need the one [and make it the 3rd one it is fantastic!!!] If you were to add a black and white or treated page you could stick all your copies there or don't use the same photo for all but take a different angle of the same species but not 4 of the same one. Hope this helps a little keep up the good work though all in all I liked it.

What a GREAT review...very helpful. I will look at the things you mentioned and definitely action some of them. Glad you like the 3rd "girl with light" pic...it's my daughter in a sensory room - it's my favourite photo of all at the moment. :D
  • 5x5photo5x5photo Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    I have to agree with what both Art and deb said above 15524779-Ti.gif

The only thing I would add is that I'm not a fan of having all of your galleries listed on your homepage. What's more, you have a seperate link for just your galleries... why bother with that if they're all on your homepage already? I suggest removing the list of galleries from your homepage. If anyone wants to look at your galleries, they can just click on your Galleries link.

Also, if this is your business, I'd think about regestering your domain name so you can just use "bendthelight.com" instead of having the .photium (or .smugmug if you switch) at the end. Looks much more professional.
    - Luc
    976 Photography
    www.976photography.com
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    5x5photo wrote: »
    I have to agree with what both Art and deb said above 15524779-Ti.gif

The only thing I would add is that I'm not a fan of having all of your galleries listed on your homepage. What's more, you have a seperate link for just your galleries... why bother with that if they're all on your homepage already? I suggest removing the list of galleries from your homepage. If anyone wants to look at your galleries, they can just click on your Galleries link.

Also, if this is your business, I'd think about regestering your domain name so you can just use "bendthelight.com" instead of having the .photium (or .smugmug if you switch) at the end. Looks much more professional.

I'll have a think about the galleries bit, yes. I see what you are saying.

As for the domain name, I've done that - I have:

http://www.bendthelight.org.uk

Thanks for the feedback.