Abbigail--senior-like

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited July 2, 2010 in People
She's only 15 and visiting from Texas. I had her to myself for maybe 15 minutes max and I tried to get a few shots of what I think senior shoots are like, I wanted the practice and she wanted the shots. She wants to return for her senior year and do an urban shoot. Anyway, I can't believe how hard it was to give directions, she was comfortable, I was not. Also I notice all my screwups, but I'm sure you guys will point out more:D. This is much harder than I thought.

Things to remember--outfit choice--in some shots she looks topless.
Watch the make up--it was a hot day and her mascara was dripping, I didn't catch it til postprocessing.

C&C please

1. I actually really like this one, it's my favorite (her glasses were her idea)--I notice the shadows on her face--don't know how to fix it--will remember to look out for shadows.
918795851_K4Ri8-XL.jpg

2. I screwed up the processing and she looks plastic:(
918795768_2g6mX-XL.jpg

3.grrrrrr I chopped off a hand!
918230459_qBQ9q-XL.jpg

918825339_CL57a-XL.jpg

5. arm cut off! not sure about the processing.
918857120_khk7e-XL.jpg

6.pinhole--I like it:)--this is the only one with any body showing-I can't believe I hardly got anything from the chest down. Easier to concentrate on portraits I guess, but I have to figure out how to get the enire body in a shot. I also note it's centered and that's a no no, but maybe it works?
918907116_QhDee-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Hey Liz
    I'm just starting to get serious about portraits as well, there are some far better shooters than I here, but here goes.......
    I like #4 and #2 in that order. Processing aside, I really like #2. Look at the eyes in those 2. I think you were well on your way to capturing something. Personally, I look at the eyes, and try to capture the emotion there. She looks like she was having a good time; I shot a senior the other day, she was there because of her mother, and it showed.
    I know what you mean about the directing and posing in general, I try to plan things out in my head, and check the poses off. With 15 minutes, ya gotta work fast :)
    Just keep at it........
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Not a big fan of the color processing but that is just a personal item, many folks like that style. She is too pretty to hide behind those glasses. Maybe something flirtive by biting the stem. Not in your control but I would definitely get rid of the hair band. Remember light colors come forward to your eye for viewing and darker areas receede. It is very distracting to my eye. Try to put a reflector over her head to cut down on the light coming in from the top. I think you would be susprised how this will affect the light pattern. Keep posting.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Thank you both for replying.
    I will definately be purchasing a reflector since I like working with natural light and I don't see myself buying a flash anytime soon. I don't know that I will ever do senior shots, engagement sessions etc. But I want to start practicing here and there, people have been asking me to do it, but I know I'm nowhere near ready.
    I will do another one soon just for practice, and I will have a reflector.

Thanks also about the tips about the white hairband (hadn't even thought of that)--i did not really like the glasses either, but she did--out of the 3-4 shots I took of her with the glasses this one was the best because of her smile--but I did ask her to take them off after:)

Also when I have shot other people, like my sisters for practice, I was used to heir skintone--I've never worked with fair blonde with blue eyes before, I felt like I wasn't processing the photos properly, it's very different---the things I'm learning.

I appreciate the tips guys.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    She is very pretty and poses well. I am not a big fan of the glasses in the first one and some of the process on the remaining ones. The glasses are too big for her relatively small face, the reflections and shadows of the frames take away from her beautiful expression and smile. I like #4 the best - the processing on the others etc just do not capture me.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires