Bikini shoot in Tacoma, 3 girls lots of fun

JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited July 5, 2010 in People
My roomates have been bugging me to get some shots of them in their bikinis, so I finally got around to it yesterday and got these results. This is my first time really shooting any time of glamour style images, so I would really apprecaite some feedback on this set of images. Suggestions and criticism would be greatly appreciated. This was also their first time modeling, so it was a pretty fun day trying all these different locations and poses out.
I'm posting a fair bit of images due to not really being able to tell which ones are strong or not...sorry for the image dump
Hope you guys like the images!
1 the three of them, Andrea, Sam and Rachel
919322310_W35YW-L.jpg
919447081_oofre-L.jpg919447020_wRrkq-L.jpg
919321736_79DGe-L.jpg919321620_gpSoY-L.jpg
919320296_dgKc7-L.jpg
919319615_6iuuX-L.jpg919319336_zStPj-L.jpg
919317150_vwXPD-L.jpg919316757_idBzz-L.jpg
7 cops in the background...
919316291_ASiBy-L.jpg
919314204_Zv4Ff-L.jpg
9 2 feet from a huge cliff in those high heels...
919313281_skouB-L.jpg
919312864_PTnac-L.jpg919312726_7tqy5-L.jpg
919312449_kbm3F-L.jpg
919308132_pmUcQ-L.jpgg
919307855_v8BRp-L.jpg
14 Pretty incredible wall
919307588_ujxpF-L.jpg
919306868_Ma4cx-L.jpg
919306486_KZKyo-L.jpg
919306272_BdXGT-L.jpg919306196_TvZKt-L.jpg
919305571_6KiGZ-L.jpg919305670_mAonE-L.jpg
919305205_T2pWN-L.jpg
919304268_WrhWX-L.jpg919304391_RCssi-L.jpg
919304076_XjYR8-L.jpg
919303635_qzD6v-L.jpg
919303386_GLb62-L.jpg
919303240_iBhCj-L.jpg
919302641_UwFrX-L.jpg
919302874_YMPRs-L.jpg
"roommate shot"
919318777_3Rg8G-L.jpg

Thanks for looking:)

Comments

• PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Ok Jack Tripper. Looks like everyone had a blast. The right half of #10 looks great, just feels a hair out of focus at the eyes. The first couple with the flower in the background is an illusion that makes them about 10 inches tall.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    All I can say is I want to party with you! thumb.gif

Nice shots.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Gorgeous girls!

…oh, there are flowers in the first couple (I didn't notice… :D)

Not much to say about the photos, but the footwear seems a bit incongruous (…heels when hiking in the woods? …when at the beach? headscratch.gif) (I'm curious as to who chose the footwear???)

…not sure about the guy taking a whizz in the background! eek7.gif

Nice job, thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: The wall-art is pretty good; worthy of a separate shoot I'd say! thumb.gif

Later: #4 - her right arm has changed into a piece of wood!

…still working through them all; some are OK, but looks like more than a few were done in a hurry; awkward angles, amputated feet & stuff, wrong exposures. I can't help thinking that some of them look a bit "tarty", but perhaps that was the intention…

ne_nau.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    I would evaluate your photos, but I'm too busy focusing on the girls. I'll have to look at it later when my mind is clear.
  • JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys:)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 1, 2010
    You make it sound like it was a chore to do....
    Laughing.gif! MORE! We want MORE!
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    perhaps it's time for another shoot, geared towards the password protected gallary!
  • PhotoByLealPhotoByLeal Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    great shots!
    It did not look like you used a flash or did you on some?
    That 24L f/1.4 is nice on a full frame....
     - angel m. leal jr. - 
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 3, 2010
    I made it as far as the roommate shot then i vurped lol3.gif

The rest of them look good with regard to color, focus and composition. The only critique is that in a few of them, the models look dis-interested but that's probably more a first time thing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • thebuschthebusch Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Wow!
    I may make some comments after they get my blood pressure down below 200! That blonde is going to make a great model.
    Busch

Take the scenic route. Life is too short to do otherwise.
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 3, 2010
    The one with man doing his business is funny heheheh
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    great shots!
    It did not look like you used a flash or did you on some?
    That 24L f/1.4 is nice on a full frame....

negative, all ambient, and yeah the 24L is amazing:)
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    For me the distracting part is that many of the eyes are not open or focused to follow where the face is pointed. Oh yeah it did take a couple of views and I do like the overall collection.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Hey, I keep coming back to these for another look as folk add posts…

Forgetting about the "Squeaky Chickies" thingie, I think of them all, #16 is the best. I think with a tiny bit of cropping to remove the distracting wall joint on the left, that one is pretty damned good!

Most of the others are "…so is she trying to get into that thing, or is she struggling to get out of it?????". Hey, there's nothing wrong with that! (I'm only jealous! rolleyes1.gif)

If you'd have thought a bit more about the reflections, I think more could have been made of #24 - think of having the reflections being more of part of the composition. OK, I realize these were grabbed, but as is, they're a bit "Charlie's Angels" ne_nau.gif

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: Just noticed the fantastic wall again (#14). Man, I'd have made much more use of it as a prop. You might have had the girls interact with it (tea-pot on the right, cup in the middle for instance…) instead of having them posing C-A style in front of it! ne_nau.gif

#13 would have been much better if framed in portrait rather than landscape (would have seen more of the girl, wouldn't have had the anonymous elbow in the frame…); great contra-jour light though… thumb.gif

Also, I just don't get #9… ne_nau.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Alright-- here's my critique. Take all this with a grain of salt. These suggestions are meant to improve your photos, not criticize.

Start with ditching the heels. Nobody wears high heels to the beach. If you absolutely much have heels, only do one or two shots and stick with the girls wearing them on a boardwalk or something that makes sense. Check out Sports Illustrated. Ninety-nine percent of the swimwear models there are barefooted or in sandals. Even Maxim rarely has swimwear models in heels.

I personally think setting is CRUCIAL when shooting swimwear. Models wearing swimwear on a city street or standing in front of flowers just makes no sense unless the styling matches (ie a camouflage bikini in the woods). Again, no one walks around the city in a bikini or hangs out next to flowers or concrete walls wearing a swimsuit. It's called swimwear for a reason. Try to have a beach or water or sand to set the scene as to why your models are wearing the swimsuits in the first place. It will add context and dimension to your photos.

Bring a spray bottle and try some shots of the models with wet hair and wet skin (preferably on a beach). Again, water and swimwear go hand in hand. There's something really sexy about wet hair and wet skin too.

You're off to good start. Try a couple of the tips above (again, proper setting -- ie a beach or lake or river -- will make a tremendous difference in the quality of swimwear photos you're able to shoot). And finally, get yourself a copy of an SI swimwear issue or Maxim or whatever style you like (they're available on amazon) for ideas.

It's funny because despite what it may seem, high-quality swimwear photos involve a lot more than some pretty girls in bikinis!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Gotta ask if they want another roomie!! Too many photos to critique but over all a nice series with some nice exposures and color. I think 5R is the best of the bunch for an individual. It really catches my attention. I think I would like 20 L with a tight crop around the top portion of the body. I feel it has lots of emotion.
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Yeah, THIS must've been a hard shoot :). My husband was drooling looking at these Laughing.gif. I did want to say that the one in the red bikini? For some reason I found her shoes distracting in some of her photos, especially where she's sitting on the log. I think it would've looked better with a different color shoe or barefoot. But great job!