Lens Fog?

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited July 1, 2010 in Landscapes
how can I avoid this? Tried my first star trail shot the other week, and was forced to stop after a few exposures because of lens fog. I heard hand warmers around the lens, but there's got to be a better solution than this?
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Let your equipment change temperature slowly, both when it cools down and when it warms up.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    What quark said. To elaborate, leave your camera and lens in its bag and place the whole bag in the conditions you need to acclimate to for 30-60 minutes. This will slowly bring the camera and lens to ambient temperature. This works best if you're shooting star trails on your own property because you can just leave your bag on your back porch. It's a bit more inconvenient when shooting on-location somewhere.

When packing up simply reverse the process; when you bring your bag inside leave it closed for 30-60 minutes to get back to indoor room temperature before opening it up.