Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-S ED-IF

CardenCarden Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited March 30, 2011 in Cameras
I just got an estimate, from Nikon, for a B2 repair for $350 dollars+tax and shipping. A grand total of almost $400. Any opinions? It wouldn't AF and wouldn't go down to minimum distance in manual. I can't replace the lens for near that, it has served me well and is in mint shape (with the exception of the repair needed). It's just $400, wow.

Thanks

C Smith

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 1, 2010
    If you like the lens and if you are not wanting one of the 70-200mm lenses, like a current "VR" version, the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D AF-S IF-ED is still a great lens and I would easily pay that for repair.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CardenCarden Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Well, the 70-200, from what I understand, is a great lens... At more than 4 times the price of this repair. I approved the repair an hour ago. If I wanted another, I could easily resell it, especially with a complete overhaul from Nikon. Thanks for your opinion. It was right on.
    edited July 2, 2010
    Seymore wrote: »
    I also agree with Ziggy, have the same version you have and would not hesitate to get it repaired since this lens is no longer made. Hope the repair is up to your standards. Please let us know how the repair goes and your opinion of the experience...

I will let you know, thanks. Just out of curiosity, I did a quick search on the lens for similar issues and found a few reviews, one by Rockwell, who believe it is THE sharpest zoom Nikon has made. That may not include current similar versions (the review may have been dated) but it encourages me even more on the repair.

Also, If anyone is interested, I checked with APS and they indicated their repair would be about the same price...
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    I have one of these bazookas too. I picked up a very used copy for $600. Apparently I lucked out. They seem to sell for over $1000 all the time. It is probably my favorite lens and at some point I am going to send it in for a tune up. I have looked at new ones and they just don't feel as good to me. They are so small and lightrolleyes1.gif.
    edited July 23, 2010
    Seymore wrote: »
    I also agree with Ziggy, have the same version you have and would not hesitate to get it repaired since this lens is no longer made. Hope the repair is up to your standards. Please let us know how the repair goes and your opinion of the experience...

Well, here's how my experience went with my Nikon repair...
    As I said I approved the quote which was almost $400. I received the lens back, focus repaired and fully functional. It actually seemed quicker. A good thing. The repair included a clean and check (does anyone know what that really means?). Upon inspecting the lens, I noticed, on the edge of an internal element, there was what appeared to be a stain? I have seen aperture blade oil run on elements before but this didn't appear so. I cannot guarantee it wasn't there prior to my sending it in but, needless to say, "clean and check?" Anyway, I called Nikon, got an RA and label for the re-repair. I asked them if it would be expedited, I needed it for an assignment, SOON. I got an email that stated.
    1. Clean lens element
    2. RPR focus ring
    3. RPR aperature ring
    4. RPR cam ring
    5. General clean and check

"Unrelated REDO/SRV Warr"

No charge.

I got the lens back yesterday July 23rd. It went to them originally on July 1st.
    My question for them, which they could not answer was why were the additional repairs needed when I sent it back just to have the "clean" done. Seems odd. I also am still not happy with the "cleaning".
    There you have it. Comments?

Oh, I am currently shooting some test shots. Just to be sure...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 23, 2010
    I suggest that Nikon probably used the same service ticket number to clean the lens the second time as they used for the original repairs. The list you got in the latest e-mail is probably a listing of everything done to the lens per the service ticket number, so there is probably a reiteration of the previous repairs.

Since it didn't cost anything additional, it seems a likely scenario.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 23, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I suggest that Nikon probably used the same service ticket number to clean the lens the second time as they used for the original repairs. The list you got in the latest e-mail is probably a listing of everything done to the lens per the service ticket number, so there is probably a reiteration of the previous repairs.

Since it didn't cost anything additional, it seems a likely scenario.

I would likely agree with you Ziggy but NONE of the things listed on the redo were on the original service ticket. I mean there were 13 original descriptions on the first service order! They are very detailed in the material/repair descriptions on the repair tickets. The redo was also a different service number and different invoice repair number. It is just curious.
    My biggest complaint is, why weren't the elements originally inspected and cleaned as they say it was. I really don't expect an answer from them. Hey, if it works, is as sharp as it always was (can always hope more!) and functions as well as it did for me the last 10 years, GREAT! The other things are minor, yet curious.

Thanks

P.S. Interested in seeing a test shot? http://www.cardensmith.com/Other/80-200-28-Test/
  • btktwoodbtktwood Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2011
    I just had the same problem with my focus where it would hit a stop at around 18'. Still would focus from that point to infinity with no problems. I sent it to APS and the original quote over the phone was $350 but when they actually got it they sent me a quote of $465 (included shipping). This is what they did:
    replace bayonet mount
    replace focusing mechanism
    replace auto focus operation
    replace rubber ring
    repair aperture operation
    clean and re-lube lens zoom mechanism
    clean lens elements
    clean MR encoder unit
    general check, adjust and clean
    I just received the lens back from APS and have taken a few shots with it. I will say the auto focus is lightening quick now (not that I thought it was slow before). I can't wait for my daughters next volleyball game to really put it to work.
    As for APS.... I would recommend them to anyone. I had my lens back in my hands within a week of sending it out to them. Great service and communication with no six month wait like I had been quoted from a couple other places.