Crop body

How about DonHow about Don Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 1, 2010 in Cameras
I keep hearing crop body but haven't a clue what it is. What's a crop body?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 1, 2010
    A "Full-Frame" (FF) 35mm format camera, whether film or digital, has a frame size of 36mm x 24mm.

A "crop" format camera has a smaller imaging area, just as though you would "crop" a portion of a FF imager. The name comes partially from the "crop factor" that you apply to better understand how different focal length lenses are affected when mounted on a crop camera versus a FF camera body.

Typical crop formats are:
    • 1.3x - Canon 1D series cameras, also called APS-H digital format.
    • 1.5x - Nikon DX, Pentax, Sony, ..., also called APS-C format.
    • 1.6x - Canon dRebel and Canon xxD cameras, also called APS-C format.
    • 1.7x - Foveon/Sigma SDx and SDxx series cameras.
    • 2.0x - Olympus and Panasonic "Four-Thirds" and "Micro Four-Thirds".

I would rather talk about what lenses are "standard" focal lengths for each format (approximately):

For FF cameras, a 50mm lens is often quoted as a standard focal length (since it is close to the measure of the diagonal dimension of a FF frame). This also approximates a human Field-Of-View (FOV). (45mm through 55mm lenses are also considered standard lenses for a FF camera.)

For 1.5x and 1.6x crop cameras, 35mm is often called a standard focal length.

Just divide 50mm by the crop factor for other crop format systems to estimate the standard focal length for that system.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • How about DonHow about Don Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Thank you. I was thinking it might be a full frame camera, with a lot of pixel's and it allow's for more crop. My D70 and D5000 must both be "crop" cameras. I sure can crop my D5000 photo's more than my D70.
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    As was explained, it has nothing to do with pixel density. It's simply a description of the sensor or film dimensions.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010