Using reflectors

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Technique
So, is there a trick to using a reflector in natural light situations?

Whenever I use it, everyone complains about it being too bright, and it forces them to squint. So am I doing something wrong?
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    You do have to be careful, and if you use the gold colored ones extremely careful.

Try putting some distance between your subjects and the reflector.

Sam
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    What color is your reflector.....mine come with 5 but I rarely use anything but white or gold....
    That seems to be the only ones that don't make everyone nearly blind............also do not do a direct hit wit hthe reflector.....
    if your assistant will do a sweep and watch closely then you can see when the light is falling your subject before the really
    harsh central beam of the reflection smacks your client in the face.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Mine is a 5 in one, White, silver, gold, gold/silver and a diffuser.

But it never seems like you can feather it. If it's not aimed right at them it isn't illuminating them. And even then it never seems like it does enough to fill shadows. Even in midafternoon. Hence why I'm thinking I'm screwing it up :)
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Mnemosyne wrote: »

But it never seems like you can feather it. If it's not aimed right at them it isn't illuminating them. And even then it never seems like it does enough to fill shadows. Even in midafternoon. Hence why I'm thinking I'm screwing it up :)

How large are the reflectors?? at least 30"?? I could see this as a problem if using really small reflectors or if the reflector is to far away.....out doors they usually need to be close...........also depends on your light source.....have the days been bright clear harsh light or overcast diffused light???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 2, 2010
    It's 30 or 40 something, I can't be certain right now cause I don't have it with me. But it's been no cloud skies when using it.

I've tried aiming it just off perpendicular, but people still complain about it being too bright. It almost seems like using the diffusor panel as a reflector is easier on their eyes, which of course isn't the point.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Te AmoTe Amo Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    you need to feather the reflector to cut down on the squinting.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    It's 30 or 40 something, I can't be certain right now cause I don't have it with me. But it's been no cloud skies when using it.

I've tried aiming it just off perpendicular, but people still complain about it being too bright. It almost seems like using the diffusor panel as a reflector is easier on their eyes, which of course isn't the point.

They Are Staring into the reflector.....in my experience it is akin to pointing out car headlights to them...they then look into the headlights.

I always advise them first and then the reflector is typically at 45degrees to them and not anywhere near the line of sight to my lens.

They are bright as heck, that's for certain, and I have experienced the same thing as you in the past. But, this past weekend I shot a Singer over in Nashville and she went with it, like it wasn't even there!
    tom wise
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010

You may or may not be "screwing" it up. I know both my assistants have trouble with the 5-N-1 reflector. But that is because they tend to look at the subject versus watching the light and following the light with the eyes and watching the subj. with their peripheral vision.
    tom wise
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 21, 2010
    Some of the reflectors allow you to flex the rims, so that the reflecting surface is concave or convex. The convex surface helps to create a softer edge to the light circle, and you can use this to decrease the light in the eyes of your model.

Also, the model should look away from the reflected light beam, kind of like looking at the side of the road with oncoming headlights while driving at night.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    I agree with several post above.
    • Feather the light on your subject (yes, with the reflector)
    • The reflector should not be too close to the camera axis
    • Your subject should not be looking at the reflector
    • Have your subject close their eyes while you focus/compose ~ you then tell them to open their eyes on the count of three. Tell them to look toward the sound of your voice to make sure they are looking at the camera when their eyes open
    • Using these techniques, your subjects won't give you squinty eyes
    Randy
    edited July 22, 2010
    Maybe I'm just getting too close then
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    This is probably a stupid question, but what is meant by "feather the light on the subject?"
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    feathering the light..

if you are looking at large reflectors it will be reflecting light kind of like this ( ( ( ( ( (center) ) ) ) )
    by saying feather, it is usually meant to use the outside portion of the reflected light.. Hell.. I dunno if it makes sense ( ( ( ( ( ( (center) ) ) ) ) ) stuff in red is "feathering".. I hope i'll get corrected if i'm wrong..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,065 moderator
    edited August 16, 2010
    ows4428 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but what is meant by "feather the light on the subject?"

With a diffusion type of reflector, like a matte white, as you pan or tilt the reflector the reflected light is less defined off axis. For full illumination you would use the "angle of reflection equals the angle of incidence" rule relating to the light source. As the angles become less optimal the light reflected is less intense and said to be "feathered".

With a glossy or metallic silvered or gold reflector feathering is not normally as gradual and may be too sharp a reflected beam to consider for feathering.

Try using a small mirror and see how collimated the reflected light is. Now try a piece of white paper or white foam sheet and see how you can create a more or less intense reflected light just by changing the angle of the sheet with respect to both light source and subject.

The following video describes using reflectors and feathering the light.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4938383_reflectors-outdoor-photography.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation, guys. The video helped a lot as well.

Brian
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Thanks for the link to the video ziggy!! I recently purchased a reflector and this was very helpful!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    I tend to use the diffuser panels as reflectors a lot more than the actual reflector panels. They usually give me a much nicer light, and no squinting. You can also place a one or two stop diffuser panel over a reflector to calm it down.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    :lurk

Fabulous thread. This is something I find when I'm using the gold side of my reflectors, and have often wondered how to handle it.... and why feathering it with that side never quite seemed to work. Great stuff, guys.

ETA:
    Icebear wrote: »
    I tend to use the diffuser panels as reflectors a lot more than the actual reflector panels. They usually give me a much nicer light, and no squinting. You can also place a one or two stop diffuser panel over a reflector to calm it down.

Slightly OT, but another use for larger reflectors is emergency headshot backgrounds (I've used both used the black and white sides for a plain bg while I was shooting on location, and it worked a treat to give us 2 different looks we hadn't even considered).... I iloveyou.gif my 42" 5-in-1.