Fundraising photography

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited July 6, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I recently did a fundraiser for a local dog club, and was interested in doing some more. This fundraiser the proceeds were split 50/50 between me and the club. I was also approached by a local doggy daycare as well as the SPCA about doing my pet portrait fundraiser for them as well.

When promoting a fundraiser which would be a better idea?

"50% of all proceeds from this fundraiser will be donated to the Erie County SPCA"

or

"A portrion of all proceeds from this event will be donated to the Erie County SPCA"

I am also doing a volunteer project with the SPCA where I'm photographing all the animals in the shelter for publication on their website.
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Hi Fred,

As a consumer I like the 50% statement, because it lets me know in no uncertain terms how much is going where. One question though, are you giving them 50% of the total sale or 50% of gross profit?

Any time I see the statement ""a portion of" I automatically think the portion is so small they are hiding it but want the marketing benefits.

Sam
  • fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Hi Fred,

As a consumer I like the 50% statement, because it lets me know in no uncertain terms how much is going where. One question though, are you giving them 50% of the total sale or 50% of gross profit?

Any time I see the statement ""a portion of" I automatically think the portion is so small they are hiding it but want the marketing benefits.

Sam

Thanks Sam. The 50% will be of the sale price. All cost of printing, and delivering the images will be taken out of my 50%. The term "50% of all proceeds" would be miss leading and wrong. Because if you add it up, it would be more like 80% of all proceeds. 30% of my 50% will be going to the cost of my doing the shoot and delivering the finished pictures. I just want to find a way to say it without confusing the customer. Maybe if I say "50% of each sale will go to the Erie County SPCA"
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    IMHO, I agree with Sam and it may be the cynic in me but my immediate thought for "a portion of" is negative and immediately assuming that someone is getting a bigger than 50% cut. I know you're trying to explain that your portion is the smaller one but I'd stick to the 50% to be on the psychological safe side :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Hi Fred,

Sam
    15524779-Ti.gif I definitely like to see where my money is going. At our schools I've found out that with some of the fundraisers the school only receive 10% of the sale of the items. Why should I spend $25 for 4 rolls of gift wrapping paper when the school gets a whopping $2.50 for the sale. Instead I give a donation of $20 to the school and go by 5 rolls of wrapping paper at the dollar store.

Stephanie
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    I 100% agree that saying 50% of all sales go to the charity is better than a portion going to charity, as it instills more confidence in what is going to the charity. Also I think saying 50% of all sales goes to the charity is a subtle but important difference between that and 50% of the proceeds. It allows the business focused to realize how much is actually going to the charity.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • crystallizedcrystallized Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Fred, that's an amazing idea. I think I will steal it ;]

As for your concern, I don't think too many people will trip on their toes over the term "50% of all proceeds", thinking cost of printing excluded. "50% of each sale" sends the same message to me. You can add an additional line along the lines of the prints coming out of your side, however I doubt anybody will get hung up over how you've worded it. Good luck =]
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Fred, that's an amazing idea. I think I will steal it ;]

As for your concern, I don't think too many people will trip on their toes over the term "50% of all proceeds", thinking cost of printing excluded. "50% of each sale" sends the same message to me. You can add an additional line along the lines of the prints coming out of your side, however I doubt anybody will get hung up over how you've worded it. Good luck =]

I'm personally in favor of being as clear and direct as possible... Personally I'd probably go with something like "Half of your payment goes directly to the SPCA." To me, that leaves the least room for doubt or questions.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)