Pet portraits

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited July 15, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I did a fundraiser for a local dog club. This is one of the shots I got. What do you think?

920215750_Q2vqb-M.jpg
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Hi Fred,

You asked: :D

Technically the image is overexposed, flat, and appears soft. The softness could be due to the upload, etc.

From a compositional point of view I think it would be a more appealing to have the dog looking at the camera. Have the owner stand behind you and put their head close to you and the camera. You could even get lower.

I generally don't like to have a leash or maybe even the dog collar on.

I ran your small copy by my Photoshop.

Sam
  • How about DonHow about Don Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    fredjclaus wrote: »
    I did a fundraiser for a local dog club. This is one of the shots I got. What do you think?

920215750_Q2vqb-M.jpg

I don't like being critical but your camera height is way to high and the owner should be behind your left shoulder and kneeling. You should have been kneeling. As for exposure, I'm one of those guy's that hit's the quick fix button on Picasa! I don't care for the leash either. Suck thru your lips and try to get the dog to perk it's ears.

Bottom line is was the customer happy? Bet he/she was.
  • fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    The customer loved this shot, but my experience is this one customer may love it, but a customer who may get their dogs portrait done every year, but want something else. Thats why it's nice to have a group like there where people don't pull punches. You don't learn anything from people saying "Oh, that looks nice. I love how it looks like the dog is smiling" That doesn't tell me as much as your comments do.

I was crouching down, but I guess I have to get closer to the ground. They always say "get on the subjects eye level" which I didn't do. Shame in me, I know that too.

I was hoping to remove the leash as well, but since we were in an uncontrolled area the owner wouldn't do it. Maybe next time I can shoot in a fenced in year where the owners would be happy to remove the leash.

I love the idea of the owner being behind me and my sucking my lips. I have tried having the owner use dog toys, or a training clicker I have but never the sound effects from me.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them. I'll try them next time. Maybe if I can get my Siberian Husky to sit still I will try them on him.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
    edited July 1, 2010
    By the way, Sam, you are the man once again. I didn't photoshop the picture before I printed them. I love what you did, and I will have to make a check list and make sure I do the photoshop portion before showing the client pictures next time. Maybe I could have picked up another order for this picture had I done that.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Hi Fred...

As someone who works with pets, almost exclusively...I have to say, they are not easy to photograph! I just did a shoot with two doberman pinchers on Sunday, and I am still sore! My legs sure did get a workout!!!!

What I find best when photographing dogs is exactly what Sam and Don said...you need to get down on their level. Or, if shooting from above, you can focus right in on their eyes and that usually produces a cool modern-type shot.

As far as getting their attention goes, I use replacement Kong squeakers. I keep them in my pocket and when I need to get the pup's attention I press my elbow on my pants pocket without taking my hand off the camera. I also do my own various noises! I may sound (and look) like an idiot, but it usually works!rolleyes1.gif

I do prefer Sam's version, but that's because I like a lot of punch!
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

edited July 1, 2010
    By the way, Sam, you are the man once again. I didn't photoshop the picture before I printed them. I love what you did, and I will have to make a check list and make sure I do the photoshop portion before showing the client pictures next time. Maybe I could have picked up another order for this picture had I done that.

My camera only shoots in RAW so PS is mandatory not an option.

Also if you use LightRoom you can do a fair amount of processing very quickly and eficiently.

I always try and show the finished image to clients, but for event and / or low budget stuff you could shoot RAW and jpg then use the jpg as a proof image. Learn to adjust the in camera jpg settings to get a reasonable facsimile, and let them know the printed image will be reviewed and processed as needed to really show off their pet.

Sam
    edited July 1, 2010
    thanks for the input everyone. Robyn, I've been looking for photographers like you. Searching the net, I've only found photographers that shoot studio portraits of pets. As with people, I prefer to be in a nature setting. I call them. Environmental portraits, so researching pet portraiture, I need to research others who don't use traditional studios. I even found this one franchise that will sell you a system to photograph pets in the back of an RV. Go figure.

Your work Robyn, is awesome. I've been looking at your page all night and taking notes. My husky club is holding a 4th of July picnic this weekend. Maybe I'll set something up to do some test pictures on Saturday.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

edited July 2, 2010
    A thought about the leash. Get the owner on the other end and included in the photo. Then the leash fits. Otherwise if the owner wants it on, slip the collar around so the D ring, snap and leash are behind the dog and out of view.

EDIT:
    Just thought about it. I just recently got a request for friend's on Facebook. Didn't have any idea who it was so looked first. Photographer from somewhere In Maine that shoot's pointing dog field trials and hunting trips. You might check her out.m I'll find her website if you want.
    edited July 2, 2010
    Thanks for the compliments Fred! When I first started photographing pets, I really didn't like the traditional "studio" shots...with props and costumes, etc. I started photographing my own pets, just for fun, and what I realized was; the BEST images of them were the ones where they looked comfortable and happy in their own environment. I have done some studio work, but I don't find it as rewarding or enjoyable!

When working with dogs, before I even break out my camera, I spend some time getting to know them. I gain their trust by using LOTS of yummy treats. Then, as soon as they feel comfortable with me, I take out my camera and let them sniff it (so they know it's that a bad thing). Once they appear disinterested in it, I start following them around and snapping a few. Then the fun begins!

If you are in an area where a leash is required, see if you can find a long 30' green training leash (maybe Petsmart). I have one and it's great! When shooting near grass the green leash can blend-in making your post processing less of a nightmare. Also, because of the length, the leash tends to drop (unless of course the dog is running away). That makes the collar look natural and won't be pulled at the neck.

And...when working with dogs, really try to get down...don't be afraid to get dirty! Some of the best shots I have are from me being flat on the ground!rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and one more thing...
    I usually shoot pretty wide open. I'm usually set at 2.8 and selectively focus on the eyes. I use the 50mm 1.8 too, but when I do, the dog really needs to be completely still so I can nail the focus...otherwise everything is a blur!

Well, good luck this weekend! Sounds like fun!

Robyn
    thanks for the input everyone. Robyn, I've been looking for photographers like you. Searching the net, I've only found photographers that shoot studio portraits of pets. As with people, I prefer to be in a nature setting. I call them. Environmental portraits, so researching pet portraiture, I need to research others who don't use traditional studios. I even found this one franchise that will sell you a system to photograph pets in the back of an RV. Go figure.

Your work Robyn, is awesome. I've been looking at your page all night and taking notes. My husky club is holding a 4th of July picnic this weekend. Maybe I'll set something up to do some test pictures on Saturday.
    Robyn T. Lisone

edited July 3, 2010
    Just curious, because a lot of people tell me to gain the dogs trust and friendship using a lot of treats. Is it like working with Crocks? You feed them so much that they are less likely to move too quickly? Or does that just get them to listen to you better during the shoot?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

edited July 3, 2010
    Not sure if it's like feeding crocks as I've never been lucky enough to do that, Laughing.gif! But, it does give them something to focus on, and they keep coming back for more! I usually pack a training bag filled with tiny treats...like the size of kibble. Not enough to make them fat and sluggish....just happy!
    Just curious, because a lot of people tell me to gain the dogs trust and friendship using a lot of treats. Is it like working with Crocks? You feed them so much that they are less likely to move too quickly? Or does that just get them to listen to you better during the shoot?
    Robyn T. Lisone

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    One of the other tricks that might help is to do the shoot at a dog park or other area where they can be off leash and let them run and play for a while. Not only do you not get the leash in the picture but also a more tired dog that is not as active. Of course you have to weigh this against a panting dog with tongue out so it can be a wait.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited July 4, 2010
    Treat's get the dog's attention. They sometime's will backfire in that then you can't get the dog far enough away from you to shoot it. It want's more treat's. You can usually do as well or better, making strange noise's, Either the squeeky thing under the arm or sucking noise's. They aslo get the dog's attention. When I would go out and shoot people's pointing dog's, I always took birds and remote release traps with me. Usually I'd find that the dog would just go thru a training routine and was flat. The dog was just standing there. So what I'd do is run the dog on several and pop out the bird befor the dog got set. Got the dog's attention and usually after the second or third time I had a dog that looked good. It looked good because it focused it's attention on the bird that kept getting away instead of the programed situation going on around it.

You need to find something to alert the dog, get it's attention. Last year I shot a branding and the owner's old stock dog was there on the back of their four wheeler. Nothing perked that dog up much. It had been thru the branding routine way to many time's. Well after trying sucking noise's to no avail, I tossed my had off to the side. That got him. sometime's shooting animals you just have to try different thing's. That was the only time that day he perked up and he didn't fall for it a second time!

Just one more though. Not sure I'd try it at a dog park unless there were no other dog's there. You could have more competation for his attention than you'll want. Dog's can be social to a fault, they are pack animals. Get two dog's around each other and they will go see what's going on.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I shoot a lot of dogs too and I let them be themselves. A treat held up so that they are forced to sit works well. Hold it over their head and move it back over their shoulder blades. They have to sit to see it. And they are no different than people. They do best when they trust you. I would NEVER want the responsibility of an uleased dog outside even with the owner there. Too risky.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    ChatKat wrote: »
    I would NEVER want the responsibility of an uleased dog outside even with the owner there. Too risky.

I agree, sorry I didn't make that clearer. The dog park by our house is a member only two acre fenced in area specifically designed for off leash fun. And taking pictures in the owner's fenced in backyard would seem a safe place as well.

However each condition is different and the safety of everyone, including the dogs, is more important than any photo.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Hi, Fred. It looks slightly over exposed to me. You could easily fix that though. Other than that, if the customer likes it... than that's all that matters! Looks like everyone is giving ya some good tips though.

I don't really want to get off the subject your of shots, Fred..... but I noticed PunkyBeth she has lots of experience working with pets and I wanted to ask what she thought of these. PunkyBeth? Thes are some of the very first pet shots I have done. It's some friends pets. They love the pics! I think they are pretty good but they were really just snapshots more than anything. Lots of people are wanting me to do their pets now though and I guess that's a good thing! I wanted to know what an experienced pet shooter thought.

dsc1208h.jpg

dsc1207q.jpg

dsc09801e.jpg

..... but this guy is mine! :)

dsc28281.jpg

dsc27821.jpg
    edited July 4, 2010
    Hi ImageX,

You've got some great captures there! The only one I am not a big fan of is the first one. The reason is that the background takes away from the boxer. My eyes want to wander all over the image. The second one is great though! The little house in the fireplace and the candles are nicely out of focus, so it makes him really stand out. thumb.gif

The cat is great too! The light I see in the reflection in his eyes looks to be from both flash and a window? I LOVE natural light and rarely use flash...but this looks like a great combo! Purrrfect! Laughing.gif! I might have cropped it a little differently, but that's just me...I'm always a little "off" anyway mwink.gif.

The fish shots are good too, but have you ever tried shooting them without flash. The flash kinda makes the background a little dark (like they look like they should be swimming in the depths of the oceans). I'd like to see the natural color of the coral come through. Otherwise they are beautiful fish!

Congrats on having people asking you to do pet portraits! I will say it is not easy...but it is always fun! The most difficult part about photographing pets (for me anyway) it is the owner! The owners usually think they are helping, or they get embarrassed if their pet isn't doing what they think *I* want them to do. But, really I don't want the pet to do anything that isn't *them*. If that means Fido sleeps on the couch all day, then I will get a lot of sleeping dog shots. I will get shots of their paws, their tail, their little doggy eyelashes, etc. As a pet owner myself, I'd rather have the pet look the way I see them on a daily basis, as opposed to doing something that looks uncomfortable for them. Just my $.02. rolleyes1.gif

Hi, Fred. It looks slightly over exposed to me. You could easily fix that though. Other than that, if the customer likes it... than that's all that matters! Looks like everyone is giving ya some good tips though.

I don't really want to get off the subject your of shots, Fred..... but I noticed PunkyBeth she has lots of experience working with pets and I wanted to ask what she thought of these. PunkyBeth? Thes are some of the very first pet shots I have done. It's some friends pets. They love the pics! I think they are pretty good but they were really just snapshots more than anything. Lots of people are wanting me to do their pets now though and I guess that's a good thing! I wanted to know what an experienced pet shooter thought.
    Robyn T. Lisone

edited July 4, 2010
    Punkybeth wrote: »
    Hi ImageX,

The most difficult part about photographing pets (for me anyway) it is the owner! The owners usually think they are helping, or they get embarrassed if their pet isn't doing what they think *I* want them to do. But, really I don't want the pet to do anything that isn't *them*. If that means Fido sleeps on the couch all day, then I will get a lot of sleeping dog shots. I will get shots of their paws, their tail, their little doggy eyelashes, etc. As a pet owner myself, I'd rather have the pet look the way I see them on a daily basis, as opposed to doing something that looks uncomfortable for them. Just my $.02. rolleyes1.gif

Boy can I relate to that! I trained dog's for a number of years for a living. Got to where I hated their owner's! Anybody else reading this pay attention to her statement about the owner's/little helpers!
    edited July 4, 2010
    Punkybeth wrote: »
    Hi ImageX,

You've got some great captures there! The only one I am not a big fan of is the first one. The reason is that the background takes away from the boxer. My eyes want to wander all over the image. The second one is great though! The little house in the fireplace and the candles are nicely out of focus, so it makes him really stand out. thumb.gif

The cat is great too! The light I see in the reflection in his eyes looks to be from both flash and a window? I LOVE natural light and rarely use flash...but this looks like a great combo! Purrrfect! Laughing.gif! I might have cropped it a little differently, but that's just me...I'm always a little "off" anyway mwink.gif.

The fish shots are good too, but have you ever tried shooting them without flash. The flash kinda makes the background a little dark (like they look like they should be swimming in the depths of the oceans). I'd like to see the natural color of the coral come through. Otherwise they are beautiful fish!

Congrats on having people asking you to do pet portraits! I will say it is not easy...but it is always fun! The most difficult part about photographing pets (for me anyway) it is the owner! The owners usually think they are helping, or they get embarrassed if their pet isn't doing what they think *I* want them to do. But, really I don't want the pet to do anything that isn't *them*. If that means Fido sleeps on the couch all day, then I will get a lot of sleeping dog shots. I will get shots of their paws, their tail, their little doggy eyelashes, etc. As a pet owner myself, I'd rather have the pet look the way I see them on a daily basis, as opposed to doing something that looks uncomfortable for them. Just my $.02. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the post! They really were all just snapshots.... except for the fish. I agree with everything you said... especially the first pic with everything in focus behind the dog. I was just learning about focus modes on my camera. I know more now though. I am sad to report that the dog died from cancer two weeks later. :( My friend is very very grateful that I got the shots. He didn't have any "good" ones other than the ones I took.

The cat WAS near a window and I used bounce flash off the ceiling. I guess since i was so close.... it's eyes caught the reflection right off the flash itself. "Purrfect"..... Laughing.gif!

The fish have always been hard to get good shots of. I have some new ones where I bounced flash off ceiling and into open tank. It lights up everything pretty good. I really like it where just the fish are lit up though. Here's another one I reallly like although it's far from perfect and the flash is too strong. It's actually a BAD pic but I like it for some reason! haha I think it's the pose. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write!

bad pic.... good pose!
    dsc30351.jpg
    edited July 4, 2010
    OK, I will post a couple of my own pet photos.

This is Buck, the sweetest little pit bull you ever saw.

I try to capture pets doing what they like in an environment they are comfortable with.

Sam

922948512_sud8w-M-1.jpg

922993804_QQkye-M.jpg

923002117_3NZ4x-M.jpg

922982087_CName-M.jpg
    edited July 4, 2010
    If ya hadn't cut his leg's off, the last is my hands down favorite.

Calling them portrait's bring's to mind studio shot's, set up and lighted just right. I have always prefered the "enviormental", or is it "location" shot's far and away, even with people. But some years ago I got a bug that I had to have a set of studio light's. Single and making good money so on a trip to L.A. I went right to the factory and picked them up. Probably better light set's around but these gave me what I was looking for, light! I made myself a posing bench and wore out a girl friend and her daughter-in-law and grand daughter's practicing with them. One night I got the urge to practice some more but wasn't anyone around except "Otis" and me. "Otis" was just 15 yrs at the time and well past the age a E. Pointer usually dies. To bad for him, he became my model that night. Turn's out I lost him on christmas eve that year and these photo's of him are my favorite. He was a great model!

923258500_fWEJm-L.jpg

920916086_KajcF-L.jpg
    edited July 4, 2010
    I love the Buck shots, Sam!!! I especially love the first one with all his friends!!! They look so happy!!!

Don, I love the Otis shots too. It's such a treasure to have nice portraits of our furry family members...their lives are WAY to short!!!!
    Robyn T. Lisone

edited July 4, 2010
    Awwww...this is exactly why EVERYONE needs to photograph their pets. So sad. Your friend is very lucky to have had you take the photos. They are a cherished memento of a dear old soul.:cry
    I am sad to report that the dog died from cancer two weeks later. :( My friend is very very grateful that I got the shots. He didn't have any "good" ones other than the ones I took.
    Robyn T. Lisone

edited July 4, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    OK, I will post a couple of my own pet photos.

This is Buck, the sweetest little pit bull you ever saw.

I try to capture pets doing what they like in an environment they are comfortable with.

Sam

922948512_sud8w-M-1.jpg

Awesome!!!
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Sam I like your style. I like pictures of dogs doing what dogs do. Buck looks like a happy pup.

You just have to be patient and watch what they are doing and be ready to catch it. It would be tough to take my dog into a studio and make him sit in front of a background and get a picture of him looking happy.
  • MNGirlMNGirl Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    [QUOTE=
    EDIT:
    Just thought about it. I just recently got a request for friend's on Facebook. Didn't have any idea who it was so looked first. Photographer from somewhere In Maine that shoot's pointing dog field trials and hunting trips. You might check her out.m I'll find her website if you want.[/QUOTE]

Don -
    I would love to have this information. I haven't been on the forum for a while, but now I'm looking for some assistance in taking photos of hunting dogs. We have a breeder in town that would like me to do some work for him since I just did his website (http://www.prairiemarshkennel.com/).

Later I'll get back online and post more of what I'm looking for on a seperate thread.
    Wendy
    www.ShetekPhoto.com
    www.TMBSports.com

Pentax K-x
    Pentax *istDL
    Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
    Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    This is one I took of my friend's dogs a couple of weeks ago. They are agility dogs and rarely sit still But on this evening, in my back yard, they were content to be models briefly. Their owner wanted a 2-dog portrait to give to her husband for Father's Day.

899153836_SFF2X-M-1.jpg
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada