Why are the out takes always better?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited July 3, 2010 in People
Goofing around in the studio. Its a tradition I take the new haircut picture of my son. I like the outtakes better than the real shot which looks too posed!
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 2, 2010
    I read something the other day that, paraphrasing, said a) you don't have to smile in a portrait and b) there's nothing like announcing "I've got what the client wants and we're done formal part now" followed by "I have a couple of ideas for something extra. Would you mind if we just did a couple more things?".

The idea being that you needed to get what ever the client asked for (the posed shot) and then relax your subject by letting them know the formal part was over. Does it work? In a word, yes. More often than not if you can get your subject to relax and to engage them in some way, those portraits will look "better" because the pressure is off and the subject is relaxed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Interesting. I know quite a few Ukrainians and noticed that they do not smile in any older pictures I have seen. My buddy said back in Ukraine if you are smiling then they think you are crazy. Especially in a passport or drivers lic.
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Paintguy wrote: »
    Interesting. I know quite a few Ukrainians and noticed that they do not smile in any older pictures I have seen. My buddy said back in Ukraine if you are smiling then they think you are crazy. Especially in a passport or drivers lic.

No smiling allowed in our DL or passport photos either. NOT allowed to be seen having fun!

On the outtakes question, absolutely, if the pressure is off, that's when you get the keepers. Its the same when playing golf, throw the score card away and see how well you play!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    I want to make a t shirt for my children's sessions that says "Parents please do not tell your kids to smile!!!"
    telling a small child to smile makes for fake cheeeeeeeeeeeeese type expressions.

Instead of looking for a smile, try to provoke a giggle, it is like a smile but better! IMHO works great on teens and even adults.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700