Options

Going to Badlands, Yellowstone and Tetons. Need some locations

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
Hello all. My brother and I are going to the Badlands, Yellowstone and the Tetons at the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips at any or all of the spots for sunrise/sunset shots and just general good spots to shoot.

Thanks!
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• Options
    greatbuffalogreatbuffalo Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    I didn't see this until just now so I hope I get you before you leave. The Badlands NP is one of my favorite places to shoot, I there very often. There are many areas right off the loop road to shoot. Not knowing how long you are going to be there makes it difficult to suggest any areas. Mornings and sunset are great times to shoot in the park but great shots came be had all day long. I love to get off the beaten path and into the back country. The Canata Basin is a great place to start for this. There is lots of wildlife to be had aswell. The west portion of the park is best for this, out along the Sage Creek Road. That is where all the Bison can be found. The short hikes on trail to recommend would the area on the east side of the park: the Notch trail especially. Saddle pass trail is also a great place to go for a short hike. Don't be afraid to get out of the car and walk into the formations. There are surprises around every corner. My favorite, although remote area, is the South units on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Very rugged country. Sheep Mountain Table has many great views unique formations.

One very cool spot is right off the road, a balancing rock sorts. Its a few miles west on the visitor's center, you'll come between 2 formations close on either side of the road. There is a small area to park on the south side. The road starts a steep climb right there. If you look over to the right you will see a balancing rock there. i have been shooting this for some 12 years watching the changes.

The Black hills are also a great place to shoot depending what you like to shoot will dictate where you go. Deadwood is great for historic photos and there are reinactors to be found that love to get there pictures taken. Mount Moriah Cemetery is great as well. The rest of the hills are great for scenery and landscape shooting. Custer Sate Park is wonderful for its beauty and abundant wildlife. There are many unique opportunities to be had all over the place.

Devils Tower just west of the hills make for some very dramatic shooting. It is set in a great area of the Black Hills.

Thats what I got for you, Wish I could join you, I love this area and get out there as often I can. I'm only a few hours away.

Have fun, any other questions just let me know, Hell I may be out there at the time you roll through. When exactly are you coming out this way?

GB