She Glows...

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited August 24, 2005 in People
Hey all, this is the only decent shot I managed to get out of a climbing trip Saturday. Thought it was rather cool how the lighting and reflections make it seem like Shasta is glowing. The wind helped a lot too. icon10.gif Tell me what you think!

top08.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Very moody image. Looks like your dodged her out a bit. If you were a bit more careful it would be more effective... if you didn't do anything to her than I take it back. I love what the waters doing, and especially her hair. She's beautiful, even though you can't see her face.

clap.gif

Well done.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    That is a nice image ! clap.gif

Gus
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Very moody image. Looks like your dodged her out a bit. If you were a bit more careful it would be more effective... if you didn't do anything to her than I take it back. I love what the waters doing, and especially her hair. She's beautiful, even though you can't see her face.

clap.gif

Well done.
    Yeah the pic really looks surreal, but besides cloning out all the dirt on my CCD, my edits all covered the whole picture, nothing selective. It's the weird lighter spots reflecting off the water just behind her, and whatever light is making her glow, that makes you look twice. I was surprised when I saw it, cause I didn't expect to get anything good, and actually this was the only one from the trip that was worth anything. Thanks for the comments!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    great colors and atmosphere

she certainly glows

Michal
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    Hey all, this is the only decent shot I managed to get out of a climbing trip Saturday. Thought it was rather cool how the lighting and reflections make it seem like Shasta is glowing. The wind helped a lot too. icon10.gif Tell me what you think!
    I think it is a great picture, I like it as is.

Now in an ideal world, here are somethings I think would be better.

1) unusual crop of her, cropped right under her butt, either go up (hips) or lower (mid thight or even full body)

2) there are no eyes, but they don't need to be, picture is fine as is.

3) seperation air/land/water (perceived horizon) is very close to dead center.

XO,

ps. Only reason I recognize these 'opportunities' is that I can consistently replicate them in my meager attempts. At one time I was going to change my tagline to 'King of cut-off feet, arms and hands.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 23, 2005
    I like the mood of the image. The wind in her hair and that sort of glow
    are pretty cool.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • pseudonympseudonym Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    Now in an ideal world, here are somethings I think would be better.

1) unusual crop of her, cropped right under her butt, either go up (hips) or lower (mid thight or even full body)
    Yeah c'mon dude pick up your act ... we can't even see what gear she's carrying rolleyes1.gif (nothin' sexier than girl with a full rack 'o cams and slung draws ... did I say that out loud :D)

Great shot BTW, very surreal.
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    I like the shot the colors are very dramatic.
    edited August 23, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    Yeah c'mon dude pick up your act ... we can't even see what gear she's carrying rolleyes1.gif (nothin' sexier than girl with a full rack 'o cams and slung draws ... did I say that out loud :D)

Great shot BTW, very surreal.
    Well this is where I kill the sexiness. The reason we were there at all was because someone retrobolted a previously climbed line five pitches up, thinking they were making a new route. That started a massive uproar among local climbers, so we went to check out the route and see what the fuss is all about. No sexy gear, just clipping bolts all the way, and the route was a complete joke. There were two moves worth going for, and the rest of the five pitches we free soloed (and quite literally ran up), since it wasn't even worth the hassle. But I'm quite happy with the picture, despite the problems and things I should have done differently. I'm going to have to keep this stuff in mind next time I wind up way above everything else on a windy day with a beautiful girl. icon10.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Thats a really cool shot ColdClimb, you live in a beautiful part of the world thats for sure. its a shame about some peoples climbing/bolting ethics, when all thats required is a little research in the first place.
    Cool shot and keep them coming
    May I take your picture?
    edited August 23, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    I'm going to have to keep this stuff in mind next time I wind up way above everything else on a windy day with a beautiful girl. icon10.gif
    yes, there were bolts needed chopping ... rolleyes1.gif

So how bad is it up there, if I come to Alaska is a set of draws OK (all the good cracks are well bolted) ? eek7.gif
    edited August 24, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    yes, there were bolts needed chopping ... rolleyes1.gif

So how bad is it up there, if I come to Alaska is a set of draws OK (all the good cracks are well bolted) ? eek7.gif
    At this area, a set of draws will do you fine. Keep in mind that it's right next to a highway, and on sucky rock. The only reason it's a climbing area is because it's right next to the largest city in the state. It was rated the absolute worst crag in North America by Climbing Magazine, and that is quite possible. yelrotflmao.gif

Other areas, like Hatcher Pass and around Chickaloon, offer real climbing. I've yet to see a blatant bolted crack anywhere in the state though. Chickaloon has a lot of sport routes nearby, with a small amount of trad and a bunch of good bouldering. Hatcher Pass has very few sport routes, and the ethic is mostly trad with bolted anchors. There's also a ton of bouldering there, and a lot of untouched bomber granite.

But really, if you were to come to the area, you wouldn't need much gear. I've got it all, and I'm more than willing to share it in exchange for a ride to the crag! icon10.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Verrrry nice capture!
    I'm all #00FF00 with envy:-)thumb.gif

Bring more:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    This is a great shot! Love the lighting and glow effect. Awesome. thumb.gif

Erich
    edited August 24, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    But really, if you were to come to the area, you wouldn't need much gear. I've got it all, and I'm more than willing to share it in exchange for a ride to the crag! icon10.gif
    Will a double on my Malvern Star do ? mwink.gif

One day I am gonna do a proper climbing road trip from the top to the bottom of the American continent(s) ... If I end up with an automobile in Alaska consider a seat reserved :D
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    Will a double on my Malvern Star do ? mwink.gif

One day I am gonna do a proper climbing road trip from the top to the bottom of the American continent(s) ... If I end up with an automobile in Alaska consider a seat reserved :D
    Colin...you do any climbing up at Glasshouse ? Im thinking about a photo trip up there for a day but dont know which one is best to head to.

Any ideas ?

Gus