Tamron 18-200

SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited July 2, 2010 in Cameras
I am having some issues with this lens and I am wondering if anyone else has it or is having troubles.

Lately, after almost every shot, I am getting an err o1 communication between lens and camera is faulty. Clean contacts.

I have done EVERYTHING possible and this pops up after every single solitary picture. (I release the lens and unhook the battery and restart) My thought is that it is the lens as I can put the lens on and turn it to the point JUST before it locks and use it normally (All though no AUtofocusing or F-stop) but as soon as it locks and I take a photo I get the error.

I don't have another lens so I can't really test to see if it's the lens, but the camera works normally Sans lens and Sans locking the lens, as soon as the lens locks on it errors out.

I am going to send the lens in for repair or replacement. At first I thought it was too hot.. but even after a cool down period and a good cleaning with alcohol it still continued.

I do have to say that without it locked on. I got some amazing and perfectly lit and balanced photos.

Anyone else experience this?
Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 2, 2010
    Are you still using a Canon XTi?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    No.. No it's my 50D. I bought both (Separate) in February. Boy, you are either observant or I have it the Rebel listed somewhere.
    Kandie Kingery

edited July 2, 2010
    SCP wrote: »
    No.. No it's my 50D. I bought both (Separate) in February. Boy, you are either observant or I have it the Rebel listed somewhere.

The XTi is listed in your profile. It's nice to either list current cameras there or mention it in the thread, but it doesn't matter in this case. (Some of the 1D series cameras have a lens-mount switch on the body which could simulate your current issues, but you don't have a 1D body, so ...)

What happens if you fully latch the lens and press the DOF Preview button (instead of the shutter button)?

What happens if you set the aperture wide open and try to take a picture?
    ziggy53
  • SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The XTi is listed in your profile. It's nice to either list current cameras there or mention it in the thread, but it doesn't matter in this case. (Some of the 1D series cameras have a lens-mount switch on the body which could simulate your current issues, but you don't have a 1D body, so ...) Oooh See I will have to go and change that. I totally forgot.

What happens if you fully latch the lens and press the DOF Preview button (instead of the shutter button)?

Same- Err 01

What happens if you set the aperture wide open and try to take a picture?

Same err 01 t F4.3 and at F22

Response above in red.
    Kandie Kingery

edited July 2, 2010
    When you press the DOF Preview button, the body attempts to communicate with the lens, telling the lens to "stop down the aperture".

When you set the aperture wide open on the camera, the camera no longer has to send that information to the lens, so it simplifies the communication to just coordinating AF information.

Since the camera is unable to communicate in either situation, it sounds like all communication to the lens is severed. There is still a possibility that the camera could be the problem, but I agree that most likely the lens has failed.
    ziggy53